Two Truths and a Lie

"You don't belong with those people."

        A bitter taste flooded Danica's mouth, the Golden Guard's words echoing in her pointed ears almost in a patronizing manner the second they left his mouth. She could feel the weight that was already on her shoulders grow heavier and heavier in the silence that followed, doing nothing to alleviate the already tense atmosphere between them.

        She wanted nothing more than to deny his words without a second thought.

        That he shouldn't say such a thing.

        That her intentions for associating herself with Eda and the others had nothing to do with the matter of whether or not she had a place by their sides.

        ...but no words left her mouth.

        What could she say?

        It would just sound like a desperate excuse made at the last minute. A futile effort to defend herself.

        And that would all but confirm the Golden Guard's words.

        So she gave him the only response she had to his statement. She squeezed her eyes shut with resignation evident on her delicate features, her knuckles white with how tightly she was clenching her hands into fists on her lap, and slowly uttered her reply.

        "...I already know that."

        Danica couldn't bring herself to meet the Golden Guard's gaze, her shoulders growing heavier and heavier as soon as she spoke those words aloud. How could she? For some reason, her tongue felt like lead the second that statement left her lips, as if those very words were poison and bile in her mouth.

        "You do?" The Golden Guard questioned, narrowing his eyes at her from behind his mask. "Then why – ?"

        "It's complicated, all right?" Danica promptly cut him off before he could finish his question, continuing to avoid meeting his gaze with her brows furrowed together. "You of all people should know it's not your job to poke your nose in other people's privacy. Nothing good ever comes when you do."

        The Golden Guard could feel himself scowl behind his mask, impatience prickling within his chest for a split second. "Then at least tell me what you think you can achieve from associating someone of your status with criminals of all people...!" He demanded, clenching his gloved hand into a fist by his side. "Somehow, I seriously doubt you can learn anything from a crowd like that, Princess!"

        At first, Danica said nothing in response, her expression continuing to be unreadable. Then she wordlessly reached into her cloak and drew out a small piece of paper along with a pencil, the princess placing the small parchment down on the ground between them.

        The Golden Guard furrowed his brows in confusion, watching whatever it was the witch was doing. Danica began drawing out a perfect circle on the paper, starting with her stretching a line up from the bottom of the shape about two-thirds up, followed by a perfectly horizontal line that connected two sides of the circle, one-third up from the bottom of the circle.