Abiding Routine

"When you hear the word 'fear', what is the first thing that comes to mind for you?"

        The small witch girl, her appearance indicating she was around eight years of age, blinked and peered up at the figure by her bedside at the sudden question, her short violet waves brushing above her shoulders. The room was completely flooded with darkness, the only source of light being a medium-sized crystal ball on her nightstand that served as some sort of lamp, a gentle ivory glow emanating from it that shone over her delicate features, including her unique facial birthmarks.

        Of course, even its light wasn't enough to illuminate the man's own features in the shadows, only allowing the small girl to see the white and gold robe he donned on his stature. And yet, she had no need for it as she effortlessly met his gaze while blinking curiously up at him on her soft and plush bed.

        "What's with that weird question...?" Young Danica asked, her pointed ears twitching with confusion as she tilted her head just a smidge. The man simply gave a soft chuckle in response, apparently finding amusement in her curiosity.

        "Oh, don't think much about it, Stardust. Feel free to answer the first thing you can think of for your answer." He replied, the shadows concealing whatever expression he was making at the moment. "I'm just a bit curious about your honest opinion."

        Although she was still confused, the small girl knitted her brows in thought as she contemplated about her response, absentmindedly fiddling with her silk nightgown. "Umm...I guess I would think of something really scary..." She hesitantly replied, pulling her bedsheets further over her body before she gazed up at the figure with wide eyes, which glimmered in the soft light. "But I'm not scared of anything! I live in the safest place in the Boiling Isles! And I have the strongest witches to protect me!"

        The robed man gave another chuckle in response at her words. "That certainly is quite a solid answer." He remarked. "...But say you find yourself in a situation where you're in an unfamiliar place? And the only people you know and can protect you are nowhere to be seen? Would you be afraid then?"

        "...I...guess it would depend on the reason I'm there in the first place." Danica replied honestly after a few more moments of contemplation, earning her a soft and inquisitive hum from the shadowed man for an explanation. "I mean, if I didn't want to be in that kind of place, I'd definitely be a little scared... But if I went there on purpose, I think I'll be a little less scared. Even if I didn't want to come or not, it still counts as a good reason, right...?"

        "...yes. I suppose that's one way to look at it." The man mused in response. Danica continued to peer curiously up at him, pulling her blanketed knees up so she could rest her arms atop them.

        "Why are you asking that, anyways? Did something happen?" She couldn't help but ask, blinking up at the robed man when he simply gave a small chuckle in response to her innocuous question.

        "Not at all. I was just in a bit of a mood for curiosity, that's all." He smoothly replied, the shadows continuing to shroud whatever expression were on his features. "...I believe it's already past your bedtime now. Why don't we continue this some other time, Stardust?"

        The inquisitive look on her features was quick to be replaced with one of disappointment. "You're leaving already...?" She frowned up at him. "But I'm not even that tired yet! Can you read me a story first before you go? It doesn't even have to be a picture book! You can read anything to me tonight!"