Market Mishap

After going around asking the local customers and vendors for details (more like interrogation on the Golden Guard's part), it wasn't long before both the princess and the high-ranking official gathered all of the information they needed on the Black Blade.

        Specifically on the whereabouts of their base of operations.

        Apparently, they had recently emerged into existence for the purpose of targeting other merchants and robbing them of their most valuable products, effectively harming their business and status in the Night Market. They also have a tendency of harassing small-time sellers if none of their products were of value in their eyes, as evidenced by their behavior and treatment towards the scabbage merchant earlier.

        Truthfully, they weren't of any serious danger at the moment since their influence was only effective in the Night Market. But there were also some concerns that the gang's behavior could worsen if it continued on without interference of any kind. And to make matters worse, nobody here was able to report them to the Emperor's Coven under the impression that they too would be arrested due to their association with the Night Market.

        Which now brought both Danica and the Golden Guard to their current situation as they gazed up at the Black Blade's headquarters before them.

        To say it was...unassuming would be a bit of an understatement. The building was nothing more than a simple-looking tavern that possessed a unique architectural design, resembling that of a medieval-styled bar. Similar to the conditions of the stands throughout the deeper parts of the Night Market, the structure was also in the midst of disrepair, judging from the crumbling roof shingles and the deep cracks that spread in numerous areas of the brick walls. There was also a metallic sign with visible spots of rust hanging to the side, thick letters reading "THE MORBID MAGPIE".

        Had it not been for the tall humanoid demon with his broad and imposing figure standing guard before the swinging doors, his lavender-skinned muscular arms crossed over his chest, the whole place would have easily been passed off as another one of the local buildings that were closed for the Night Market to take place outside.

        "...you sure this is the place?" Danica couldn't help but skeptically question, a wary frown on her lips as she and the Golden Guard peeked out from around the corner, pressing themselves against the outer walls of the building they hid behind.

        "Everyone else we questioned literally pointed this way when we asked about the base." The Golden Guard deadpanned, momentarily scanning their surroundings for anyone who could be watching them at this second. "Kind of hard to believe it could be anywhere else."

        Ignoring the young man's sardonic tone, Danica's hesitant frown deepened at the sight of the imposing guard standing before the tavern doors, not a single trace of vulnerability to be seen on his daunting features. "Now what should our plan be...?" She muttered aloud, furrowing her brows in thought. "We can't exactly cause a ruckus or we'll miss our chance of getting those ingredients."

        "Oh, that's the easy part." The Golden Guard replied, a confident tone in his voice as he pulled his head back away from the corner so his entire figure was concealed in the shadows once more. "I'm going to go up there, make that guard let me in once he sees who I am, and then do the same with the rest of the Black Blade by making them cough up everything they've got."

        Danica stared blankly up at the masked young man with half-lidded eyes. "...your plan is to not do what I just said?" Her deadpan expression was quick to melt into mild annoyance as she proceeded to massage the bridge of her nose. "Again, you're the Golden Guard, so they're not going to just do everything you say because of your title. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's going to be the opposite." She then narrowed her eyes with an unreadable expression. "Plus, I notice that I'm not included in that thing you call a solid plan."