𝟑𝟑. eight months

WHITE FLAG

chapter thirty-three : eight months
{ season three - episode one }

chapter thirty-three : eight months{ season three - episode one }

IT WAS LATE spring. The temperature was getting warmer. Lori's baby bump was as big as it could get since it was close to her due date. Nearly eight months had passed since everyone left the farm. Everyone thought it would be easy to find shelter, but they thought wrong. They had been looking for nearly eight months, and they were still nowhere.

They were tired, hungry, thirsty, and in desperate need of a shower. Their body needs weren't the only thing that they needed. They needed happiness. They had been stuck in the same emotion for eight months and nothing joyful happened to make them happy.

Overall, it was stressful. For Kloe Schmidt anyway. They had all agreed that once Lori gave birth to her baby, Kloe and Beth would be the babysitter while Lori rested. Kloe had trained Beth how to look after a baby once in a while, to make sure she had the hang of it, and she did.

That lifted some weight off of Kloe's shoulders, seeming she wouldn't have to look after a screaming child twenty-four-seven. But even if she did, it wouldn't have bothered her too much.

The group had changed a lot since the previous year. Nothing was the same and it was much to everyone's dismay, but they could do nothing about it. The night Rick had announced that everyone was infected, they debated whether they should leave, but after Rick had yelled at them with anger and switched their minds, they stayed.

They all understood why Rick was so angry, well, Kloe did at least. He came back to camp to find out his wife had been sleeping with his best friend. His best friend got his wife pregnant. And he had to kill his best friend for the benefit of the group. He was grieving, and he had every right to be.

Everyone climbed out of their vehicles. They had stopped in the middle of the road to read the map, to try and search for a place to stay. Zayn, Glenn, Kloe and Maggie stepped in front of the hood, unrolling a map and spreading it out.

They had drawn on the map where they had been and where not to go with a red marker. Most of the map was covered. "We got no place left to go," Hershel announced.

Kloe's eyes landed on the two red circles on the map, meaning they were herds. "When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off," Maggie pointed at the circles and demonstrated as Rick and T-Dog joined their side. "We'll never make it south."

"What would you say? About a hundred-and-fifty head?" Daryl, who had now joined their side and leaned against the hood, asked Glenn.

"That was last week," he shook his head. "It could be twice that by now."

Hershel leaned forward, pointing to the river. "This river could have delayed them. If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through there."

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way," T-Dog reminded, pointing to the red circles.