So Close

Double update from me today just to get the story going a little. Hopefully you enjoy chapters 2 and 3. 

______________________

Christian was concerned. Normally he would have had to keep telling Max and Daniel to behave themselves during these long meetings, the two of them laughing and joking about various things. Today though Max had been unusually quiet. Even the multiple cans of Red Bull hadn't perked him up. Christian would have been relieved for a bit of peace if only Max hadn't had such a distant stare in his eyes, like he was thinking about something else entirely.

'What's wrong?' He asked the young Dutch driver.

Max paused, wondering whether Christian really was the first person he wanted to share this news with. He thought he would be supportive, or at least he hoped he would.

'Christian I-, I-,' Max couldn't get his sentence out.

'Max? Do you need me to get a doctor?'

The colour had drained from Max's face. He was seconds away from telling Christian everything but the words wouldn't come out no matter how hard he tried. They got caught in his throat, almost choking him and he felt that at any minute he might suffocate. Christian was now becoming increasingly concerned and pulled a chair out and ushered Max into it before pouring him a glass of cold water. As Max lifted the glass he noticed his hands shaking uncontrollably. He had gotten so close to telling somebody but again had backed out at the last second.

'I should get the doctor to check you over' Christian said as he walked towards the door.

'No, no, I just need to get some sleep and I will feel better I'm sure' Max assured him.

Christian wasn't too convinced, he could tell there was something going on but he knew that Max wasn't going to divulge any more information to him. He considered his options and realised that he did have an ace up his sleeve - Daniel. He could send Daniel back to the hotel with Max and hopefully figure out what was wrong with him. Whatever it was, Christian was hoping to get it resolved before testing started in Barcelona in a few days.

'Why don't I get someone to drive you back to the hotel? Daniel can take you, we don't need you here this afternoon but you shouldn't drive yourself, you can pick your car up tomorrow.'

Before Max could argue Christian had left and was striding purposefully down the corridor to go and find Daniel.

******

Daniel put the radio on low as the two men made the drive back to the hotel. Max leaned back, closed his eyes and tried to relax but his relaxation didn't last long as it was ruined by yet another ping on his phone. He reluctantly looked down at the message.

So is it € 20,000 or should I let the everyone know your secret?

Max quickly locked his phone, not wanting to look at it any longer. He felt tears forming so closed his eyes tight hoping Daniel wouldn't be able to see. It was too late Daniel had noticed the tension in the younger man's body, he could see the tears running down his cheeks but he didn't know what to say. He thought about asking him directly what was wrong but Max wasn't always the most open guy and he didn't want to scare him off. So, instead, he left the younger man to sit quietly for the rest of the journey.

As they pulled up Daniel put a reassuring hand on Max's shoulder, 'You can tell me if something is wrong you know?' he told him.

Max nodded. Maybe he could tell Daniel. Daniel had always been there for him. Despite fighting it out on track they actually got on really well. He doubted Daniel would have any concerns about his sexuality, Daniel seemed like a laid back guy who just wanted everyone to be happy. If he was going to tell anybody maybe it should be Daniel. He looked across, Daniel now had a serious expression on his face which was unusual for him.

'I think I just need to lie down for a bit.' Max told him as he stepped out of the vehicle. As he was making his way up to the entrance he heard Daniel shout after him, 'I'm always here for you if you want to talk'.

Back in his hotel room Max lay back on the bed and took his phone out. He knew that he was going to have to do something about this sooner or later but for tonight he couldn't face it. He responded back to the message the only way he felt that he could.

I will send the € 20,000 tonight.