The fun starts now

Max watched in amused fascination as his husband checked over the baby car seats for what must have been the hundredth time. It wasn't that Max didn't care for safety but the way Charles was now aggressively tugging on each seat did make him seem a little neurotic.

"I can't believe you are actually trusting me to drive them home" Max teased.

"Well, actually I was thinking maybe I should drive back" Charles suggested with a slight look of concern on his face as he glanced back at the babies now both securely fastened in and then looked at his husband who was casually swirling his car keys around in his hand.

Max just laughed, trying not to take it too personally. Arguing over who was going to drive and who was going to be relegated to the passenger seat had been a recurring event. In fact Max was sure it was the only thing they ever really had any disagreements over. As he slipped in to the driver's seat he left his husband with no option but to hop in the other side. Max considered it only right that he got to drive home seen as it had been Charles who had driven to the hospital on the day the babies were actually born. The Monegasque had been very insistent on that. Charles knew his husband was a very good driver but he wasn't the most patient and Charles had been a little concerned over how erratic the Dutchman would have been if he had been the one racing to their birth of their babies. Max had reluctantly agreed, only to spend the entire journey pointing out to his husband that it was acceptable to use the accelerator and pressing his own foot down to the floor as if hoping to make the car magically go faster.

It hadn't mattered through, despite Charles' cautious pace they had still arrived in plenty of time. It had been a long and nervous wait curled up in the waiting room before they had eventually been allowed inside the delivery room. As they stepped inside Max reached out for his husband's hand, gripping hold of it tightly and not letting go. Charles had squeezed his hand back, trying to provide reassurance despite his own nerves kicking in.

As the first baby had arrived the delivery had been followed by the sound of silence. Max felt his breath catching in his throat, it seemed like a lifetime but in reality had been little more than a few seconds before the baby took its first breath and then cried out. Both men had let out a sigh of relief as their hands gripped hold of each other's tighter. As the second baby was born Charles had looked across to see his husband tearing up before realising that he himself was already crying.

As overwhelming as the birth had been, Max was caught off guard by how emotional he had felt as he held both babies in his arms for the first time. As he had relaxed back into the hospital chair, Charles had instructed him to button down his shirt so that the babies could have skin to skin contact. It was something the Monegasque had read about in one of his baby books and something he was sure would help with bonding. Max did exactly as his husband said and unbuttoned the shirt he had on, the shirt Charles had specifically picked out for him to wear at the birth for this very reason.

As the midwife handed over both babies the Dutchman held them close to his chest. A huge smile across his face and a few tears falling from his eyes. Charles had taken out his camera phone, filming the whole thing enthusiastically before taking little baby Sebastian out of Max's arms and holding him close to his own chest.

The babies had been kept in the hospital overnight as a precaution, allowing Max and Charles just enough time to head home and freshen up before returning the next day to collect them. Now, all safely buckled into the vehicle, Charles finally nodded that it was okay for Max to drive off.

As they made their way along the roads of Monaco Max had, perhaps for the first time in his life, driven much slower than necessary. The Dutchman taking his time around the corners and keeping his gaze fixed firmly on the road. He had driven some expensive cars in his time but a car with his family inside was certainly the most valuable vehicle he had ever been in control of.

"Are you scared?" Charles asked as they pulled up back home and each unbuckled one of the baby carriers. He knew that now was a time for excitement but there was part of him that was terrified that they now had two little lives in their hands. It seemed unbelievable, he was sure they were barely able to look after themselves sometimes.

"Of course. I have literally no idea what I'm doing" Max laughed softly, "but we'll figure it out together"

The Dutchman placed a reassuring kiss on his husband's forehead before they made their way inside. As the door closed behind them they placed the two baby carriers down gently. By some miracle both little boys were still fast asleep. Max, unwilling to miss an opportunity, pointed out to Charles that it must have been a result of his smooth driving style.

As they both stood looking down at the two tiny babies, Charles moved across and snuggled into his husband's arms.

"What are you thinking? the Monegasque asked softly, trying not to make too much noise.

"I'm thinking that this is the happiest I have ever been in my whole life" Max smiled before pressing his lips up against his husbands. Charles wrapped his arms around the Dutchman's waist drawing him in closer until the sound of baby Sebastian rang out, immediately setting off baby Jules.

"I guess the fun starts now" Max laughed as each man lifted one of the babies up and rocked them back and forth, looking across at each other and smiling despite the sound of cries now ringing out around their family home. 

The End

_________________

Hey guys sorry for the delay, I was trying to work out how far to go with this chapter but I have decided that it might be nice (at some point in the new year) to write a separate 10-12 part story of Max and Charles raising their babies so haven't gone into too much detail here. I need to have a think about it first because I know nothing about babies 😂

So a huge, huge thank you to everyone who has read, voted or commented on this book. I can't believe so many people read it and said nice things about it, it has honestly made me so happy <3 <3