Barcelona Rumours

This is part of a double update today so hopefully you have checked out chapter 2 first!  Feel free to let me know what you think and I will keep writing if anyone is interesting in the story :) 

________________________________

Max was pretty happy to be getting back behind the wheel of an F1 car, it was the one place he felt confident, in control. In those moments he could forget everything that was going on off track and just do his best. He was making his way through the paddock area, playing around on his phone when he walked straight into someone with full force. When he moved his eyes away from his phone screen he noticed Lewis on the ground.

'Shit, I'm so sorry' he said quickly.

Lewis was a little flustered, he had been minding his own business when Max had barged into him sending him flying. As he looked up he could see Max looking panicked.

'It's okay, you going to help me up or what?' Lewis extended his hand and Max quickly helped lift him back on to his feet. As his hand touched Lewis', Max began to blush a little. Not this again, he told himself. He had had a small crush on Lewis when he had first met him but thought he had done well to suppress his feelings. It was not ideal to have a crush on your colleague, especially one who would not be interested in reciprocating those feelings. Lewis had noticed the rosy colour in Max's cheeks and the way he averted his gaze when he tried to look him in the eye but told himself that Max was just a little awkward around people. He smiled at the younger man, letting him know he wasn't angry.

'Crashing into people already Verstappen' a familiar voice appeared from behind Max and he swung around to be greeted by the amused face of Charles Leclerc.

'Having to watch the action from back in the distance. Always a few seconds behind aren't you Leclerc' Max snapped back.

Charles smirked before carrying on his journey to the Ferrari garage. He didn't have time to argue because he was excited to get into the new car and even Max couldn't spoil his mood today.

Max turned back to apologise to Lewis again but he had gone. He cursed silently at Charles. For some reason the Ferrari driver always seemed to appear at the worst time. Max was starting to think Charles had been sent into F1 just to annoy him. Today though he decided not to let Charles get to him, he wanted to remain positive, so he made his way over to the garage full of enthusiasm to get back out on track.

*****

Max had had a productive day, he felt good in the car and the team had been making great progress. He wouldn't really know how competitive they were until he turned up for the first race of the season. No team really wanted to show their hand too early so it wasn't clear who was doing well and who still had a lot of work to do. Still, when he jumped out of the car he was feeling pretty positive about things.

As he was leaving for the day he saw Lewis and Seb up ahead, deep in conversation. He wondered whether to catch up with them and apologise to Lewis again for this morning but he knew he would probably embarrass himself. Instead he slowed his pace and stayed a safe distance behind. That was until he he heard what they were talking about.

'I told him I think it's disgusting, a total invasion of privacy. These journalists who work for gossip magazines should really find a better use of their time than remarking on people's sexuality. Does it matter if a driver is gay? It's not going to make him any slower is it.'

Seb had earlier been asked about rumours that an F1 driver was on the verge of coming out and he wasn't best pleased. He felt that if it was true then whoever it was should be free to come out if and when they choose. Lewis simply nodded his head in agreement.

Max felt his heart momentarily stop before kicking back in with full force and racing, beating faster and faster until it felt like it was going to explode. Did they know about him? Did everyone? Had the story been leaked? Nobody had said anything to him and the guy from the bar had been receiving regular large donations of cash so he couldn't see any reason why he would have suddenly sold the story. Without thinking he grabbed hold of Seb by the shoulder.

'What were you talking about?' He asked, trying to stay as calm as possible.

'Oh nothing' Seb responded, not really wanting to spread the rumour any further.

'Just rumours. Nothing more' Lewis added noticing Max's discomfort.

Max didn't want to push anymore, he was sure the look on his face had already given away his concern. He pushed past the two older drivers and practically sprinted to his car where he tried to get his breathing under control. He was scared, shocked and angry. His shaking hands got out his mobile and he went online to see if he could see any news. After only a few moments he located a gossip account online that contained the story, 'Are we close to getting a gay F1 driver?' He scanned the article for a mention of his name but there were none, just rumours that someone was planning on coming out.

He typed out a text as quickly as he could.

Have you told someone?

The three little grey bubbles appeared on the screen indicating that someone was typing.

No, I've not told anyone. Why would I? This arrangement works well for me.

Max was furious, of course it was working out well for him, he was getting thousands and thousands of euros whilst Max was getting endless worry and sleepless nights just for being who he was.

If you haven't told anyone then what is this?

Max sent through a link to the article. Again the little grey bubbles appeared and his phone pinged.

Have you thought that maybe they are talking about another driver?