Back in Action

As Max approached the Red Bull garage on Friday morning he was taken aback by the amount of balloons and banners on display. So many that they could surely be seen for miles around. He only hoped that all the decorations weren't included in the team's budget for the year because if they were then Red Bull would surely be over the budget cap.

"Congratulations Max"

It was his race engineer GP that greeted him first, followed by Christian and the rest of the team. This was the type of congratulations he might have expected for winning the championship but he hadn't been expecting such a warm celebration for his engagement. In the distance he could hear cheering in the Ferrari garage and it made him smile to think that Charles was receiving an equally warm reception from his team.

It was the perfect way to start the weekend in Brazil. Max knew the pressure was only going build from here. Whilst he had been out of action his championship lead had been cut down to 5 points with just two races to go. If Lewis was to win today then the Brit would go into the lead and Max was determined to do everything he could to make sure that didn't happen. He had had to sit out for the last few races but there would be no time to ease back in slowly, he had to go all out this weekend.

He hit the ground running taking pole position on Saturday but he knew that Sunday was where the points were scored. Pole was a good start but he needed to translate it into victory. As he made it back to his hotel room on Saturday night he tried to forget all about the importance of the race, luckily Charles was there to take his mind off things. Max never bought into the idea that sports people should refrain from sex the night before a big game or match. Having Charles moaning and writhing around beneath him was the perfect way to spend the night before one of the biggest races of his career. As Max blissfully drifted off to sleep that night he dreamt about crossing the finishing line first.

Charles didn't say anything but as they sat down for breakfast on the Sunday morning he could sense some nerves in Max. The Dutchman normally seemed so calm on race day but this felt a little different. Whilst Max was focused on making sure he crossed the finish line first and took his championship lead into the final race of the season there was also the small possibility of clinching the championship in Brazil. Charles knew how much that meant to Max because they had both shared the same dream since they were kids, to become the F1 world champion. It seemed almost strange to Charles that he didn't feel jealous, he guessed when you loved someone you want the best for them. Then again if Max did become WDC, Charles would have no hesitation in taking it off him the following year.

Max had been unusually quiet on the ride to the track, the nerves were definitely kicking in but as he jumped in the car and completed the formation lap he felt his mind snapping into focus. He knew exactly what he had to do. Getting a great start off the line he held the lead into turn one. Lewis was right on the back of him though, one wrong move and he knew he would be surrendering the lead to the Brit. As the laps ticked down he was able to pull a small gap, just enough to prevent Mercedes pulling the undercut and after the pit stop he was still out in front. Lap by lap he was able to increase his lead, seemingly struggling a little less with tyre degradation than the Mercedes behind him. As they entered the final 15 laps he had built a healthy lead and all seemed under control until his engineer came on the radio

"Safety car."

The two words he didn't really want to hear when he was so far out in front. He tried not to lose his cool but his heart sank a little until he heard GP clarify.

"It's Lewis. Lewis is out of the race"

Max felt his adrenaline spike. He had been so focused on retaining the lead he hadn't even let himself consider the fact that he could actually win the championship this race. Now all he had to do was hold his position and the championship would be his. As the safety car came in he was faced with the longest 10 laps of his life. He counted down each one, trying to remain calm, trying to block out the bigger picture. Trying not to think that he was getting closer and closer to achieving his dream. It was only when he took he chequered flag that he allowed the tears to flow. He had done, he had actually done it.