An Austrian Nightmare

TW (TW also contains spoilers so avoid if you don't want to know what the chapter contains) This chapter will have mentions of domestic violence and there is an underlying suggestion of physical or abusive practices in relation to therapy. It is not explicit. Just want to warn everyone incase they would prefer to avoid. 

Also, although these character's are based on real people my interpretation of them and how they would react in these situation is purely fictional (obviously!)

__________________

In a rare mistake for the Dutchman Max had crashed bringing out the yellow flags and an early end to his race in Austria. He took his time returning to the garage, not wanting to see the disappointed faces from his team. It was Red Bull's home track and they had been aiming for a 1-2 finish for the team in front of the home crowd. He hesitated briefly before nervously entering his driver's room, he knew that his dad was waiting for him and that he wouldn't be happy. He prepared himself for the usual scowl, the raised voice, the balled up fists but instead Jos had just patted him sympathetically on the back.

Jos knew that the race had been a missed opportunity, the car had been quick and normally a podium would have been almost guaranteed. Still, he tried to calm himself down before seeing Max. He suspected that he may be partially responsible for Max's performance, perhaps he had pushed him too far over the past week. He hated that what he was doing was interfering with Max's racing, it was the last thing he wanted, but he was sure that it would all work out for the best in the long run. Max knew that he should have been happy with the sudden change in Jos' attitude but it sat uneasy with him because he knew that it came at a price.

After the team debrief was completed Max headed back to his hotel room and waited for the moment he could go and see Charles. As soon as he got the text from his boyfriend he headed straight to his room and as Charles opened the door he wrapped his arms around Max and kissed him gently. Max let out a soft moan at the feel of Charles' lips against his, it had felt like it had been years since he had last seen him, although in reality it had only been a week. Charles kissed into Max's neck before pulling the Dutchman closer, but as he looked into Max's eyes he noticed that they weren't sparkling in the way they usually did, he looked completely exhausted.

"Can we just get into bed and watch a film together?" Max asked as he got undressed and climbed under the covers.

"Of course" Charles responded as he climbed in next to Max and let the Red Bull driver snuggle in close to him.

The two men lay in silence for a while, Max enjoying the warmth of his boyfriend's body next to his own. For the first time all week he felt that he could relax as he melted into Charles arms. Charles leant in and kissed him gently on the forehead and ran his fingers through his boyfriend's hair trying to comfort him. It was possible Max was just upset about the race but Charles suspected it was something more. Max had now pulled himself tight next to Charles, desperate to feel his arms around him, desperate to feel that safety.

"Do you want to talk about anything?" Charles asked gently.

He knew all about Jos' deal and he had spent most of the week worrying about his boyfriend, knowing that he would be starting whatever therapy sessions Jos had organised. Charles had suggested Max try and compromise with Jos and ask to pick his own therapist but Max had simply said it wasn't worth arguing, his dad normally got his own way eventually. To make everything worse Charles had barely seen or spoken to Max since Silverstone. After previously trying to remove Max from his life altogether it now seemed Jos was reluctant to leave his son's side for more than a second.

"No not really" Max responded sleepily to Charles question.

"How is the therapy going?" Charles asked cautiously, not wanting to push the matter too far.