Thoughts of the future

Max slowly opened his eyes, smiling at the memories of last night. Charles was still asleep and as Max watched him he felt those butterflies in his stomach again. Charles was just beautiful, he wondered how he had never noticed it sooner. Their bodies were still tangled together, arms and legs entwined, neither of them had wanted to let the other one go.

Max closed his eyes again and enjoyed the warmth of Charles' body pressed up against him. He normally liked having his own space in bed but he had enjoyed holding Charles close and being able to hear the soft moans escape from his lips as he had pressed his own lips along Charles' neck and collarbone. Max had wanted to explore further, he had wondered what it would be like to trail the kisses all over Charles' body but he was nervous about being so intimate. He was a perfectionist, he liked to be the best at whatever he did but when it came to pleasing Charles he wasn't sure he knew what to do and he didn't want to disappoint him.

Charles started to stir as he woke. Some mornings he hated that feeling of being pulled out of his dreams and into reality but this morning it felt like he had replaced one dream with another, except this dream was real, Max really was there and they were wrapped in each other's arms. His eyes slowly adjusted to the light and he lent in and pushed his lips up against Max's gently. It was strange, in some ways it felt natural, like they had always been this way but in other ways it was new and invigorating. They were so close their hips were almost moulded together and Charles was excited by the feeling. There were so many things he wanted to do but he was happy to wait until Max was ready, they had a lifetime together ahead of them.

Charles almost laughed to himself at the thought, it had only been a matter of hours since their first kiss and he couldn't help but let his imagination run wild. In his mind he was already mapping out the next fifteen years of their lives. He of course wasn't going to tell Max this, he didn't want to scare him off. He knew he had a tendency to get a little ahead of himself but it was harmless, deep down he was just a romantic. He believed in true love, in finding that person you want more than anyone else and spending the rest of your lives being happy together. Growing up his parents had filled the house with such happy memories, they had loved each other right until the end. He guessed he just loved love. He wondered if Max felt the same way.

He let his mind wonder to a future where they were both retired and had a beautiful large house together with kids running around. All of their World Driver Championship trophies would be displayed for everyone to see, he would of course have a couple more than Max he thought to himself. He wasn't naive he knew that it wouldn't be easy, there were no guarantees things would work out but he had already experienced a lot of heartbreak in his life and so he decided to keep his mind focused on the positive.

"Would you like to have children?" Charles asked absentmindedly.

"You have to at least take me on a few dates first Charlie" Max laughed.

"No, no you know in the future?" Charles felt himself blushing a little, realising he hadn't really meant to ask that question out loud.

"Yeah sure, I'd love to have a family one day" came Max's response and Charles smiled a little.

"You'd make a great dad"

"Maybe. I guess I learnt everything not to do from my dad" Max sighed. He really hoped that he would never treat his kids the way his dad had treated him. When he eventually had children he was going to love them for who they were.

Charles knew why Jos was no longer around the paddock, everybody knew. He had clearly not taken the news of Max coming out well. Charles decided not to pry too much, Max would probably talk about it when he was ready. Instead he leaned forward and let his lips meet Max's again, a little more passionately this time and he heard a pleasurable groan escape from Max as he scratched his nails down his back ever so gently.

Max parted his lips slightly and allowed Charles to deepen the kiss. It was nice to be waking up next to someone without immediately feeling shame. He thought about the women he had brought back to hotel rooms, the mornings he had woken up hoping he would feel something different, hoping he would realise he was straight after all. It never happened and he always felt embarrassed and empty. This morning he just felt happy, he just hoped they could hold on to this.

He wondered how everyone would react if they found out. A million problems came into his head but he knew that he sometimes had a tendency to look on the negative side when it came to matters of love. His mum and dad must have loved each other at one time and they never made it work, still he knew he would never treat Charles the way his dad had treated his mum.

He didn't allow himself to dwell on the negatives for too long. The feel of Charles' soft lips on him felt amazing and he just allowed himself to enjoy the sensation. Any problems were in the distant future, nobody needed to know yet, they could live in their own secret bubble and have time to figure everything out.

Just as Max was allowing himself to relax into the kiss a loud knock at the door made them both jump. They both lay silently waiting for whoever it was to leave.

"Max, it's Pierre, Max?"

Max decided it was easier to see what Pierre wanted seen as the Frenchman sounded worried. He threw on some joggers and went to the door, careful to make sure that Pierre wouldn't be able to see Charles in his bed.

"Have you seen Charles?"

"No why would I have seen him?" Max tried to sound casual.

"I went to check on him last night to see how he was after the race and he wasn't there, I've checked with everyone but nobody has seen him and I've been calling him but his phone is off"

Charles reached down and picked his phone up off of the floor, realising it had been off all night he turned it on and saw the list of missed calls from Pierre. He felt a little guilty, obviously Pierre had been worried about him.

"I'm sorry, if I see him I'll get him to call you" Max said as he closed the door.

Suddenly Charles' phone started to ring, he looked down and it was Pierre. Charles didn't know whether to answer it or not so he let it ring off.

Pierre was still stood outside Max's door trying to call Charles. This time he was relieved when the phone started to ring but as he listened closely he was sure the ringing was coming from Max's room. He hung up and dialled again, just to be sure. As he hit call the ringtone blared out again. Yes, it was definitely coming from Max's hotel room. 

__________________

As always thank you so much for reading, I can't believe this story has 4000 reads!  And thank you so much to everyone who has voted and commented, I love hearing what you think. Have a lovely weekend <3 <3