Ten Things

Charles had meant to say 'I love you' straight back. The words were there ready to leave his mouth but for some reason they had stayed there, hidden away.

It wasn't because he didn't feel it, he absolutely did love Max. He often daydreamed about what their future together was going to be like. He knew it had been because of that stupid photo. He hated that photo, it had played into his insecurities. He had no reason not to trust Max and yet he had still worried, deep down he was so scared of getting his heart broken. He had also been caught off guard, not expecting Max to say it so soon. He was sure that he had read in an advice column that you should wait at least three months before telling someone you love them. Not that he had spent hours online researching how to have the perfect relationship! Max seemed to just go with his gut instinct and Charles had wished that he had been brave enough at the time to return the words. 

He couldn't go back in time though so there was no point dwelling on it. Instead he decided that tonight was the night he was going to tell Max he loved him, and he wanted it to be special. He had an idea of what he wanted to do but he wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. It was the type of thing he could imagine someone doing in one of the romantic films he liked to watch. He was sure Max liked to watch them too because on multiple occasions Charles had fallen asleep half way through and Max had still carried on watching until the end.  He hoped Max was going to like what he had planned.

Luckily Max was spending a few hours hanging out with Lando, the two of them were playing video games online and Charles watched the live stream on twitch just to be sure that Max was keeping busy and wasn't going to show up at his apartment unexpectedly. He had told him to be there for 8pm.

As Max got to Charles' apartment he noticed that an envelope with his name written on the front had been taped to the front door. He ripped it off and opened it up, inside there was a key to the apartment and a note that read 'Ten things I love about you'. Max opened the door and spotted a trail of paper notes in front of him.

He picked up the first piece of paper and read the message, 'One: I love your smile, it always makes me feel happy inside.'

Max smiled to himself as he reached out for the second note, eager to read what it said, 'Two: I love your kisses. The gentle kisses in the morning, the comforting kisses when I am sad and the crazy hot kisses that take my breath away.'

Max felt his heart rate increasing, he thought that this might be the sweetest thing anybody had ever done for him, excitedly he reached for the next piece of paper and read it carefully, 'Three: I love that you care for me and go out of your way to protect me. The world is less scary when I am with you. I hope you know that I will always protect you too.'

Max's hands shook a little. He reached out for the next note, 'Four: I love that I can share my secrets with you and you never judge me, you accept me for who I am. I can be me when I am with you—I hope you feel the same way.'

Max's eyes welled up with happy tears, he couldn't quite believe this was happening. He had seen people do things like this in movies but he didn't think people did it in real life. He reached out and took the next note, 'Five, I love waking up next to each morning, it is the best start to a day I could ever wish for. (Also you look super hot in the morning. Like really sexy, like I can't keep my hands off you sexy!)'

Max laughed a little as he read it but it also made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. When they had first gotten together he could barely believe Charles would want him, Charles was so beautiful and he always felt so plain in comparison but Charles had told him nearly every day how handsome he was and it had made him feel so much more confident about himself. He reached out for the next note, 'Six: I love the way you make me feel about myself. Like I could conquer the world if I wanted to.'

Max could barely contain his excitement now as he quickly reached out to read the next note, 'Seven: I love that you are better than anything I could have ever dreamed of.'

He started to cry, but they were happy tears, he wiped them away trying to clear his eyes so he could read the next note 'Eight: I love that we have grown up together so that our past, our present and our future is intertwined. Circumstances may have brought us together but it is choice that keeps us together. Always.

He was now so overwhelmed that he could barely think straight, he couldn't remember a time he had felt this happy. The final note was placed on the small kitchen table that had been dressed with rose petals and a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates. He reached out and picked up the final note 'Nine: I love that you have been so open and honest in sharing your feelings with me and now I hope that you understand exactly how I feel about you'

As he read the final note he turned around as Charles walked into the room.

"Ten. I love you Max, I love everything about you. I love you so much that I can't even believe how lucky I am. I know we haven't been together long but I have known you since I was young and I think I loved you even before we were together. I really do love you."

Max closed the gap between them and threw his arms around Charles and hugged him tightly before pulling him in for a kiss.

"Charles I love you, I can't believe you did this for me"

"I wanted to make it perfect" Charles said in between planting kisses on Max's lips.

Charles had spent the afternoon writing the little notes and cutting them out. He was so pleased to see Max's reaction. After everything Max had done for him over the last few months he felt so glad that he had been able to make Max feel the way he deserved. He reached out for the champagne bottle and popped the cork, pouring them both a glass.

"And the key, you can keep that, I want you to come and go as if this is your apartment too" Charles added, hoping Max would be spending a lot more time at his place.

They sat back on the sofa with the champagne and chocolates but could barely keep their hands off each other.

"I hope I managed to make you feel special" Charles said as he took the last chocolate and fed it to Max.

Max thought about their first night together. How he had nervously told Charles he had never had sex with another man before. He remembered Charles promising that when it was time he would make him feel special. Charles had been patient and waited but Max didn't want to wait anymore. He pulled Charles closer and kissed him more passionately, Charles groaned a little as he felt Max's hands travel under his shirt, his fingers brushing gently against Charles' bare skin.

"Charles, I'm ready to - I want to - I want to have sex with you. If you want to " he stumbled over his words a little, feeling awkward.

"Are you sure?" Charles asked softly as he started to kiss along Max's neck.

"Yes. I'm sure but Charles, do you mind - could you, you know, be top" Max felt himself blush a little, he felt a little immature, not quite knowing what to say or how to say it more delicately.

"Of course" Charles responded, as Max moved his head to the side to allow Charles' lips better access.

"Good, because I really want to feel you inside of me" it was said in an almost innocent way yet Charles thought that it might be the most ridiculously hot thing he had ever heard. 

******************

I just wanted to write something a little bit cute today and this was the result. Thank you for everyone who has been voting and reading and commenting, I love to read all your comments, it really motivates me so thank you <3 <3