Love Fully

The posting schedule for this has gone out of the window so I will just be posting regularly as the chapters are ready. Thank you so much for those who voted and commented, I really appreciate it so much <3

___________________

Charles was rooted to the spot, the guilt felt like it was physically weighing him down. His mind was in overdrive. Why did he have to say those things to Max? Why did his mind automatically go to the worst possible scenario? Charles felt so angry with himself, Max had already explained to him that he had spoken to Marcus, that he had sorted it, so why didn't he believe him? He hadn't been thinking straight, he had been in a blind panic, feeling out of control. 

He wanted to run away and hide, it was always easier to run away from your problems he thought.  As he made his way to the front door he could hear the muffled sounds of Max crying. He knew he couldn't leave him on his own, he had to try and apologise and make things right. He made his way to the bedroom and slowly opened the door. Max was sat on the bed, head in hands. As Charles approached he noticed Max wiping away his tears. As he looked more closely he realised how tired Max looked and how scared, confused and nervous he was. How had he missed this before? He felt so guilty, in worrying about himself he hadn't even noticed that Max was in distress. He cautiously took a seat next to Max on the bed and gently placed his hand on Max's thigh to try and comfort him and was surprised when he didn't bat his hand away.

'Max, I am so sorry' Charles spoke softly.

'All those thing you said about me, those are the things I hate the most about myself. I know I'm not the most open guy, to know other people think those things about me too-'

'I don't think those things. I didn't mean it. I was so scared, I wasn't thinking at all' Charles tried to explain.

'It's okay' Max just wasn't in the mood to fight. As much as Charles had hurt him, his energy could only stretch so far and he had already been on an emotional rollercoaster. He still had important things to sort out before tomorrow and he didn't want to spend the evening angry.

This only made Charles feel more guilty. He knew how to deal with a screaming Max but a despondent Max was much more difficult to deal with. At the same time he was still trying to process what Max had done for him. He couldn't remember a time when anyone had done something so selfless.

'I am so so sorry. I didn't mean it. I can't believe you did that. You did that for me?'

'I wanted to protect you' Max couldn't even bring himself to look at Charles now.

'Honestly Max, I am so thankful, everything I said about you, it's not true, I want you to know that. You believe me don't you?'

Max simply nodded back but then looked away.

'Maybe I should leave you get some rest' Charles offered as he got up to leave. Max looked exhausted and Charles was sure he didn't really want him hanging around. As he got to the door Max spoke quietly. 

'Charles, can you stay? I need you.'

Charles had dreamt often of Max telling him he needed him but in his imagination it was under very different circumstances. Today, Max needed his emotional support and Charles was ready to help in any way he could. It was the very least he could do given everything that had happened. 

He sat back down on the bed, Max looked a little anxious before explaining that he wanted to post something on instagram, to tell everyone his news on his own terms before the interview was released. Marcus had thankfully agreed that would be okay. The only problem was that he wasn't sure what to say. Vicky had offered to help him but he wanted it to be his own words. He had drafted numerous posts, he felt the words were not the most profound but he hoped they would express how he was feeling. He handed Charles his phone to show him the latest draft he had written earlier today.

As Charles read the message he started to tear up a little. He felt sorry that Max was going through this but as he read his words he also felt so proud of him. On top of that he was just full of gratitude that Max was doing this so he didn't have to. He noticed Max watching him, waiting for his reaction, 'it's perfect' was all Charles could say.

Max took the phone back, ready to post. He sat staring at the screen a little while. The message was ready but he was too nervous to actually post it. He looked to Charles for support and Charles took his friend's hand in his own and intertwined their fingers, squeezing Max's hand gently to let him know it was all okay. With Charles by his side Max finally sent the post out into the world. He had honestly never been so scared in his whole life. Despite Charles' cruel words earlier Max was still grateful to have someone with him in that moment. 

Max was shaking slightly and was now crying again. He wasn't sure if he was crying through fear of what everyone would say or relief that he didn't have to hide who he was anymore. Either way he suddenly found that he couldn't stop the tears as they flowed heavily. Charles put his arms around Max and embraced him in a hug. Max was now sobbing and Charles held him as tight as he could.  Both men realised the importance of this moment. There was no turning back now, the message was out there for the world to see.

@Maxverstappen1 I'm not always known for being the most emotional and, as you know, I like to keep my private life private

@Maxverstappen1 I'm not always known for being the most emotional and, as you know, I like to keep my private life private. I have often found it difficult to express myself, especially as I have felt that I had to hide a huge part of who I am. I don't want to have to hide away anymore so today, I want to share a part of my life and let you all know that I am gay. I am not ashamed of who I am or my sexuality and I hope you will all continue to support me and my career.

For anybody that is struggling with their sexuality I want you to know that you deserve to be able to feely express who you are. Don't let other people's expectations define you and please try to not let other people make you feel like you are not worthy of love and respect.

Diversity is not something to fear, it is something to embrace because it is what makes life so wonderful. So please I hope you will show acceptance and understanding of those around you. Love is always more powerful than hate so love fully, love equally and love yourself.

To my friends and family that have already given me so much support, I am forever grateful.