Gâteau

Charles was sat staring out of the window of the cottage. He had been there for almost an hour, feet tapping nervously as he waited for his mum and two brothers to arrive. During the past few days he had picked up the phone multiple times, fully intent on cancelling the whole thing. After recent events he wasn't sure it was still the right time to come out to his family. Having seen the way Max was treated by his father, Charles was terrified that his family may disown him once he gave them his news. Max had tried to reassure him that his family was nothing like his father, but Charles still had some doubt and whilst it was only a small doubt it screamed loudly in the back of his mind. It was too late to cancel now though, his family would be there any minute. He reassuringly reminded himself that he didn't actually have to tell his family if he decided against it, they could just enjoy the break together. Although he knew that explaining Max's presence would be a bit trickier.

The two drivers had spent the last few days alone, enjoying the quiet of the French countryside. It had been nice to take some time to try and relax together. The days had been spent lounging around either in bed or watching a movie or just chatting about everything and nothing. The evenings had been spent cooking together and then resting by the fireplace. The Wednesday evening had taken them by surprise. As they had been relaxing in the hot tub the sky had opened and it had started pouring down with rain. Drenched and laughing they had escaped back indoors, it may have been summer but the rainfall was cold on their bare skin. Charles had lit the fire and when he turned back around, Max had crashed his lips into his. They had barely needed the heat from the fire to warm them as their bodies became entangled, hands and lips covering every inch of each other. 

The days had been nothing but positive and it almost felt like the events of the previous few weeks had never happened at all. That was until night time. Max had woken up on multiple occasions, heart pounding, sweat dripping from him as he screamed out for help. In those moments all Charles could do was stroke his back or run his fingers through his hair, comforting him as best he could as he wrapped his arms around him. Charles had only wished there was more that he could do

Charles mind was drifting off when suddenly he spotted Arthur's car approaching. The mixture of nerves and excitement drove him to his feet and straight to the front door. His mum threw her arms around him and kissed him on the cheek as she greeted him. Arthur and Lorenzo followed behind, Lorenzo lugging the suitcases whilst Arthur had been tasked with making sure the dessert his mother had made arrived into the house in one piece. A simple task that almost ended in disaster when he tripped on the steps leading into the cottage. Only his quick reflexes had enabled him to keep the gâteau lifted safely above his head as he tumbled to the floor. His mother had run over and lovingly taken the dessert out of his hands as if it was her baby that needed protecting. Charles understood why, his mum really did make the best gâteau.

Max had hung back rather awkwardly watching the family greet each other. Charles made some excuse about Pierre and Carlos also having been at the cottage but having left earlier that day and that Max would be travelling back tomorrow. He didn't normally lie to his family but it gave him a little longer to build up to his news.

His plan had been to tell them over dinner but as the meal played out he felt his resolve slipping away. It had been so much fun and he had been so happy to have his family there that he didn't want to do anything to spoil it. As he started clearing the table ready for dessert he asked Max to help him carry the plates through to the kitchen so they could have a minute alone.

"I can't do it, not tonight" Charles spoke nervously, he knew Max would be upset but hoped he would understand.

"Its up to you, whatever you want I will support you" Max reassured him, recalling how nervous he had been to tell his family.

Charles smiled and pressed a gentle kiss against his boyfriend's lips but the sound of someone clearing their throat made them both jump apart. As Charles turned towards the door, Lorenzo was stood watching.

"Sorry to interrupt, Charles mum didn't want you carrying through the gâteau, she said you're even clumsier than Arthur" Lorenzo mumbled, aware that he had walked into something he shouldn't have.

"It's not what you think" Charles said defensively.

Max just looked down at the floor. He understood Charles' was nervous but it still hurt to hear him try and cover up their relationship. Lorenzo hesitated a little, not quite sure what to say but he decided that he needed to reassure his younger brother.

"Shall I tell you what I think I saw and you can tell me if I'm right?"

Charles nodded.

"I think you have finally been able to be honest with yourself and I think you may have finally found someone who makes you happy"

Charles nodded his head and then started to cry a little, it was relief more than anything else, and Lorenzo wrapped his arms around him, letting him know how happy he was for him before turning to Max and also embracing him.

"I don't know if I can face telling mum and Arthur" Charles murmured.

'Charles, I think they already know" Lorenzo responded sympathetically.

Charles may have made up an excuse for Max being there that was vaguely plausible but that had all fallen apart when his family observed the two men together. Their bodies ghosting past each other in the kitchen as they prepared the meal in perfect unison, like they had done so many times before. Then there were the glances and smiles across the dinner table when they thought nobody else was looking.

"Oh" was all Charles could mutter as Lorenzo took the famous gâteau and led them all back through to the dining table.

"Charles has some wonderful news for us" Lorenzo announced, placing the dessert down like it was a prized possession before smiling encouragingly in Charles' direction. Charles shifted on his feet a little, his palms felt a little sweaty and he was sure his heart was beating at twice the speed of normal, but seeing his bother's positive reaction had calmed him enough to start to get the words out.

"Mum, Arthur, I'm gay and I -, and I've been seeing someone and I - , and well its really special and - ' Charles still couldn't quite get the words out right. Max came to stand by his side and took his hand.

"Mum, meet my boyfriend, Max" Charles said finally forming the sentence he had been searching for.

"Oh Charles I wondered when you were going to tell us" His mum was straight on her feet and wrapping him in her arms tightly. 

Arthur also joined in, congratulating Charles on his relationship. The fact his brother was gay had not come as a surprise to him, he had been a little more surprised in his choice of boyfriend. As far as Arthur was aware,  Charles hated Max but seeing them together now they looked really happy. He guessed it had been the age old enemies to lovers trope that often came up in movies. 

Charles' mum then turned to Max.

"You've picked a good one Charles, so handsome" she wrapped her arms around the Red Bull driver and then held his hand as she led him back to the table,

"You can have the first serving of the dessert" she proclaimed loudly. Charles couldn't wipe the smile off his face, this was definitely his mother's way of giving her seal of approval.

As they sat around the table Charles felt a huge weight lifted from him, he could smile at Max, even hold his hand and not worry about whether someone had caught them. It felt nice to be able to have so many of the people he loved together. He watched as Max struggled to make his way through the oversized serving of dessert he had been given. It took him a while but he had really appreciated the gesture so made sure he ate every last mouthful. He decided that now definitely wasn't the time to let everyone know he didn't like gâteau. 

______________

As always thank you so much for reading and thanks for all the votes and comments on previous chapters, it is always appreciated and I think is the reason I have managed to keep writing so regularly, always better when you know people are actually reading haha! Next chapter probably around Wednesday time <3 <3