Jealous

The driver's group chat was now in full flow as Daniel tried to convince everyone to join him on an impromptu night out to celebrate the end of a few days of testing. Not that most people needed convincing. It didn't take long to agree to meet at a bar not far from the 5 star hotel where most of the drivers were staying whilst in Barcelona.

Max was hesitant. He really wasn't in the mood to go out but he was curious to see if he could find out any more about the rumours that had been circulating. Was it even possible that it was about another driver? Max thought it highly unlikely, far too much of a coincidence. A selfish part of him held out hope, hope that it was about someone else, maybe then he wouldn't feel so alone. At the same time he hated the idea of someone else going through what he was at the moment. The increasing demands for money in return for silence and constant fear of being outed was taking its toll on him. 

Eventually his curiosity got the better of him and he agreed to join everyone, resulting in much celebration from Daniel who really wanted to cheer the young Dutch driver up.

Charles was even more reluctant than Max and needed much convincing from the whole grid. Well, almost the whole grid. Max rolled his eyes as he saw all the messages telling Charles how it wouldn't be the same if he wasn't there. Max was convinced that Charles just wanted attention and he wasn't going to play along. The Monégasque driver was in the hotel room next door and Max imagined his smug face reading all the messages practically begging him to join them. Max threw his phone on the bed and started to get himself ready.

He didn't have much choice over what to wear, he threw on a tight white tee and some jeans and then hesitantly put on a navy slim fit blazer. He looked himself over in the mirror, he wasn't sure if it suited him or not but his sister had given it to him for Christmas and he still hadn't worn it. Given his lack of options he decided to stick with it and when it was time he made his way down to the bar.

The bar was already packed but he found his way to the VIP section and saw Daniel already downing shots. He reminded himself not to get too drunk, he didn't want a repeat of last time he went out drinking. He planned, for tonight, to stay far away from any men he found attractive.

'Nice blazer Max' Lewis said as he studied the younger driver.

'Are you being sarcastic?' Max blurted out making Lewis laugh.

'No, why would you think that?

'I'm not exactly known for my fashion sense.'

'Well you look good' Lewis told him.

'Thanks, you look hot, I mean your outfit is hot, I mean it suits you' Max stumbled over his words, his cheeks flushing bright red. Lewis just smiled, said thank you and walked off to join Seb at the bar.

Did I really just tell Lewis he looked hot? Max shook the thought out of his head, sometimes he wondered how he had managed to  keep a sexuality a secret for so long when he seemed to have a gift for making embarrassing comments. He was only thankful it was dark in the bar so that everybody couldn't see how visibly embarrassed he was right now especially as Charles was now approaching him with that usual smug look on his perfect face. 

'Nice blazer' Charles commented as he walked past. Now that must have been sarcastic  Max said to himself. He really needed a drink and he needed a drink fast. 

Before he knew it he was a little tipsy, mostly thanks to Daniel who had been supplying him with a steady stream of drinks. The bar was getting even busier and he noticed a few of the drivers flirting with random girls and then another group deep in conversation with each other. He didn't really feel like joining in with either and took a seat in a booth. He found himself watching Charles and Pierre. Charles seemed overly animated, definitely drunk. Max wondered if Charles was actually fun when he was drunk. He sat alone for a while, watching everyone drinking, partying, having fun. He realised he was not in the mood to party but just as he was about to leave two young women approached him and asked if they could take a seat next to him in the booth. He politely agreed and shuffled across so they could join him.