Trust

Charles had watched intently as Max had taken the call from his dad. He could see the expression on the Dutchman's face change from one of nerves to one of pure elation, a huge smile spreading across his face. When Max had hung up he had practically thrown himself at Charles, wrapping his arms around him and swinging him around as if celebrating some huge victory.

"My dad is going to fly out to Monaco on Tuesday and then fly out with me to Silverstone for the whole race weekend" Max had beamed, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

Charles had been shocked, in fact shocked was an understatement. From everything Max had told him Jos has been far from supportive, going as far as cutting Max out of his life all together and now all of a sudden he was meant to have had a change of heart. Charles did't believe it, not for one second. But he also hadn't had the heart to tell Max because he had never seen his boyfriend this happy. He knew that all he could do was keep as close an eye on the situation as possible and make sure that Max didn't end up getting hurt all over again. Protecting Max would be his number one priority.

Unfortunately for Charles it was proving more difficult than he had anticipated to watch over Max. Jos had arrived, as promised, on Tuesday and hadn't left Max's side since. It was Saturday night before Charles eventually got to see Max again. Max had made the excuse of needing an early night ahead of the race the next day and had then snuck into Charles' hotel room. Charles had jumped into his arms, pressing his lips tight up against his boyfriend's, hands desperately wondering over his body. Max carried him over to the bed and then they both began rapidly discarding clothes, lips and hands all over each other's bodies, making up for lost time.

Afterwards, Charles had lay in Max's arms, head resting on his broad chest and had tried to gently question him about Jos but all Max had said was that it was just like old times again. Charles nodded along, all the while getting a sinking feeling that this wasn't going to end up how Max wanted it to. When he had tried to question further Max had swiftly changed the subject. He knew that Charles was worried and he didn't blame him but he just wanted to enjoy the fact that his dad was back in his life and he didn't even want to entertain the fact that he might leave again.

"Are you getting excited about coming out to your family?" Max had asked as he lay stroking his hand through Charles hair.

"A little, but more nervous than anything" Charles admitted.

"I'm sure they will be fine Charlie. If my dad can come around to the idea of me being gay then I think your family should be fine" Max said supportively.

"I was thinking, maybe you could be there, when I tell them" Charles asked, a little unsure, not really wanting to put Max in an awkward situation, "If they are okay with my news then I can tell them about you and if they aren't supportive then I would really like you there" he added.

"If you want me there, then I will be there" Max assured Charles before kissing him on his forehead, "I would do anything for you"

"Really? How about you let me pass into the lead at the start tomorrow?" Charles joked

"Okay, I'd do almost anything but I absolutely will never give you a free pass on track" Max laughed.

True to his word Max had kept Charles behind him for the whole race and Charles had had to settle for second as Max picked up yet another victory and extended his lead in the championship. Charles could see the joy on Max's face as the champagne spray soaked him. A surprise third placed Fernando Alonso had tipped the remnants of his champagne over the top of the Dutchman's head and he was laughing and joking as if he didn't have a care in the world. Charles glanced down and saw Jos looking up at the podium celebrations, he really prayed that he was wrong about him, Max deserved to be this happy all the time.

Back in his driver's room Max waited patiently for his dad to join him. When Jos walked in, Max went over and threw his arms around his dad and hugged him. He was expecting his dad to pat him on the back as usual but instead Jos hugged him back tightly before letting Max know how proud he was of him today. Max could almost feel his eyes filling with tears. Deep down he was still that needy child that wanted his dad's approval more than anything in the world.

"I'd like you to have this" Max said excitedly as he handed his first place trophy over to Jos who took it gratefully.

"Thank you, I mean it, I was very proud today, that was a great race. In fact, I would like to come out to the next few if you will have me" Jos asked as he eyed the trophy in his hands.

"I would love that" Max responded enthusiastically. He had been afraid to ask about what was going to happen next so was relived his dad had brought up the subject.

"But I think we need to make a deal" Jos said matter of factly.

Jos had enjoyed being back around the paddock and he was happy that Max seemed to be well on his way to lifting the championship trophy. He wanted to be part of it. He felt like he deserved to be part of it after everything he had given up for his son. But, there still remained one tricky issue. He had been less than pleased to see the kiss and tell story about Max and some random man and he had been even less pleased with the pictures that had appeared of Max and Lewis. He had decided he needed to make sure nothing like that happened again and it had become apparent to him that he couldn't do anything from a distance. He needed to take control of the situation and he had a plan. He was willing to bide his time a little, gain Max's trust but he hoped that when the time was right, Max would be willing to listen to him. Max had always done exactly what he told him to do before and Jos guessed that with a little persuasion his son would do exactly as he asked once more.

"What type of deal?" Max asked, feeling a little concerned.

"We can return to how things were but I want you do one thing for me. I want you talk to somebody. A therapist" Jos explained.

"You want me to have therapy?" Max questioned, not sure he was fully understanding because his dad had never been the therapy type.

"Yes" Jos answered confidently.

Max was taken aback, his dad had never previously professed the importance of talking, quite the opposite really. Jos had been the shut up and get on with it type of parent so the suggestion of therapy seemed somewhat out of character. Max suddenly had a feeling deep inside him that he wished he could suppress but it kept bubbling to the surface.

"Dad, you know they can't -, I mean they won't-, I can't change who I am- My sexuality I mean. A therapist can't- I mean they can't change that, you know that don't you?" Max stumbled over his words.

"No, no, it's not like that. You've been through a lot lately, I just want to make sure your head is in the right place" Jos assured him.

"I guess I could speak to Christian, he could probably recommend a sports psychologist" Max said.

"No need, I have found someone they are willing to start right away. They can see you for an hour or two every day. It's all planned" Jos explained.

"Oh" was all Max could respond. He didn't quite know how he felt about the fact that his dad had gone behind his back to organise something quite so personal, he thought that surely he should be the one to decide if and when he needed therapy.

Jos watched Max closely, he could almost see his mind ticking away, before Max could think about it too long he asked him directly "Max, do you trust me or not?"

_________________

Well, I'm back from my holiday now so will continue to update regularly. As always thank you so so much for reading, voting and commenting. I really appreciate it all <3 <3

Almost at 10k reads, I can't believe it, I am going to be sad when I get to the end of writing this haha!!