Cheater

Yes I made up a fictional F1 driver in this chapter because I didn't want to make it one of the real life drivers....

________________

Max had hoped that having a debilitating illness that meant he wasn't allowed back behind the wheel would also mean he could escape media duties. Max had been wrong. He had made it to Austin for the US Grand Prix and had spent the past hour watching Daniel try on all sorts of cowboy hats and boots. Daniel's fake American accident was back with a vengeance along with some questionable facial hair, sculpted sideburns and a rather spectacular moustache now adorned the Australian driver's face.

"You should buy some of this stuff to wear for Charles" Daniel suggested as he showed off the leather chaps and studded cowboy boots, "you know, sexy cowboy and all that."

"Maybe" Max mumbled, he doubted that cowboys were Charles' thing. Although he still took a couple of pictures of himself in the cowboy get up and sent them over to Charles just incase.

"Come on, let's go get 'em cowboy" Daniel cheered as he practically dragged Max out of the changing rooms ready to go and shoot the latest Red Bull PR video. Later, when Charles had asked what he had been filming Max could only describe it as a mildly embarrassing video that involved a lasso, a bucking bronco, an overexcited Australian and copious amounts of Red Bull.

It may have been a peculiar day of filming but Daniel's energy had at least been a distraction. Max was still desperate to get back to racing and he was pretty sure he was getting closer to being allowed back in the car. The counselling combined with the low dose of medication he had been prescribed had eased his anxiety attacks and for the most part he was able to sleep through the night. It seemed that the black outs were a result of ptsd from his recent experience. There was still a long way to go until he was healed but he had shown significant shorter term improvements. So much so that Christian had agreed to let him back in the car for FP1 next week in Mexico. If all went well they would reassess the situation. It felt like things were slowly working themselves out. If he could get back in the car by Brazil the championship would be back within his grasp. This weekend however, he had to live with the fact that the result was out of his control although he had jokingly asked Charles to make sure Lewis didn't win.

It may have been a joke to Max but Charles was determined to help. Mathematically he was no longer in the championship race so if it wasn't going to be him winning the WDC he wanted it to be Max. He was, as always, going to push flat out to win, this time the victory would be even sweeter because he would be doing it for himself and for Max.

It had all been going to plan, he had a great start off the line and was up to third place by the second lap. Managing to jump Bottas during the first round of pit stops he found himself slowly hunting Lewis down. As he came within the DRS range he flew into turn 1, braking late and moving across to the left to take the inside line. As he clipped the kerb he was alongside Lewis but neither man wanted to give an inch and Charles felt the door being closed as Lewis tried to hold his racing line. Before Charles knew what had happened the cars had collided, both spinning out simultaneously. It was certainly not the way Charles had wanted or planned to stop Lewis from winning. As he got out of the car he had a sinking feeling that people were going to see this as intentional on his part.

Lewis stormed off in frustration but it had been the Mercedes reserve driver, Eric Strasser, that had been Charles' harshest critic. The young Austrian had stated clearly that he believe Charles had taken Lewis out on purpose in order to help his boyfriend's championship bid. He had pushed for the FIA to take the matter extremely seriously and hand out severe penalties, including potential race bans. He had concluded by suggesting that if Max were to win the championship this way it would be nothing but a hollow victory. Charles had been furious when he heard the comments but on the advice of his team had not retaliated.

The inevitable media storm that followed later that evening brought out the very worst kind of motorsport fan, some of the comments online were truly vulgar. Even the intervention of Lewis had done very little to quieten down the insults flying around. The Brit had condemned those that were harassing both Charles and Max and whilst he was still adamant Charles was at fault for the accident he was equally convinced that it had not been an intentional act to help Max.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't do it on purpose" Charles murmured into his pillow.

He was laid out flat on his front as Max straddled him. The Dutchman was warming some massage oil through his hands before working it into his boyfriend's back. As he let his hands work over the muscles he could feel the tension in Charles' body.

"You don't need to apologise" Max answered. As far as he was concerned it was a racing incident, if pushed he would have said it was probably Lewis' fault although he realised that he may be slightly bias.

As he continued to work his hands over Charles' muscles he smiled as he felt his boyfriend relaxing a little under his touch. He made sure not to turn it into a sports massage, instead applying light soothing pressure as his hands gently worked their way down to Charles' hips.

"I just don't want them to say you cheated your way to your first championship, it should be special" Charles said still feeling guilty. He had been on social media, he had seen those who were suggesting it had been Max's idea to take Lewis out of the race.

"Charles, it's racing, things happen, whoever ends the year on the most points wins. Simple." Max said as straightforward as ever before leaning in and leaving a trail of kisses down his boyfriends back.

"But I just - "

"Charles I am going to win this year, and if you think I'm going to let some sour comments online ruin it for me then you're wrong. When I lift that trophy I know I will have deserved it and I'm going to enjoy every last minute of it"

_____________________

Thanks so much for reading everyone and a huge thank you for all your votes and your really lovely comments, I always love reading them and it always encourages me to get started on the next chapter so thank you! You are the best <3 <3

And don't worry I haven't forgotten about the gift Max still has hidden away 💍 😉