Back to Baku

TW - there are mentions of homophobia and panic attacks in this chapter.

_____________

"You probably will have heard about the planned protests so I have to ask how you feel about the treatment and rights of the LGBTQ+ people here in Azerbaijan?"

The question was directed at Max who shifted uncomfortably in his seat. If he was honest he didn't really know too much about LGBTQ+ rights anywhere. It made him feel a little guilty, he never wanted to become an advocate but at the same time the more he was starting to understand about certain rights and freedoms in different parts of the world the more he thought that he should use his voice for something good. Luckily Sebastian Vettel was sat next to him in the press conference and stepped in to answer. Max listened intently at Sebastian give an eloquent answer, he was clearly knowledgeable about the subject and Max made a mental note to ask him how he could learn more.

As they filtered out of the room Pierre threw his arm around Max's shoulder.

"Are you okay with everything?" Pierre asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine mate, honestly" Max lied, he wasn't entirely fine.

It had been a strange experience so far. There had been whisperings that a group of anti-LGBT protesters were planning on staging a demonstration over the course of the weekend. Max could only assume it would be directed at him. So far, it had yet to materialise and he hoped it would stay that way. The fans he had met on the Friday had all been lovely and welcoming but Max worried about allowing himself to have a false sense of security.

Unfortunately his concerns were not unfounded. As his car took him to the track on the Saturday he could see a group of protestors camped out, placards in hand. He tried not to read the signs but he could see that there were numerous signs calling out his lifestyle and demanding he not be allowed to race due to the possibility of him negatively influencing young people. They were also chanting but he kept his window wound up and threw on some headphones to block out the noise as they drove past. He hoped Charles had done the same.

Once out of the car he marched as quickly as possible to the Red Bull motorhome. As soon as he was safe inside he allowed himself to breathe a little but his chest felt tight and each time he tried to take a breath in it felt like it got caught in his throat. It felt like he was choking. As he tried to inhale deeply he started to get dizzy and was sure he was going to pass out. He slouched down to the floor attracting the attention of Daniel and Pierre who were both close by. As they came to sit next to him Daniel put a reassuring hand on his knee and tried to get him to count his breaths in and out. Max followed his instructions as he tried to compose himself, it was a panic attack, he knew it was and yet it wasn't any less scary, it felt like he was going to die. A small crowd had formed around and Max was grateful when Daniel ushered them away. He eventually managed to regain control over his breathing just enough to thank Daniel and Pierre who both looked concerned. 

"I'm sorry, I just saw the people outside- and I just- it wasn't nice seeing that-" Max tried to get the words out.

"They are a very small minority Max" Pierre tried to comfort him.

"It's still too many" Max answered.

Pierre knew that Max was right, one protestor would have been one too many. He felt let down by the lack of action by the race organisers and from the FIA. It didn't seem right to allow Max to have to go through this and he couldn't understand why nobody had stepped in and stopped it. 

The more Pierre thought about it the more he knew he wanted to do something. He knew the FIA didn't really allow the drivers to get involved with anything they deemed political but still he thought they could do something small to show their support. By Saturday night he was the proud owner of 20 brand new t-shirts. Each shirt was emblazoned with the Pride flag and the slogan 'Same love'. He smiled as he took one out of the packaging, he really hoped everyone would be happy wearing them for the national anthem on Sunday.

He also hoped it wouldn't make Max feel awkward. He had seen how shaken the Dutchman had been earlier on that day, his face had turned white as he had slouched down on the floor. He didn't want to draw any further attention to Max if it was going to make him feel uncomfortable but to Pierre's joy Max had seemed pleasantly surprised when he had been shown the t-shirt. He had thrown his arms around Pierre and hugged him before trying on the shirt with a huge grin on his face. After a decent qualifying session Max had decided that he wasn't going to hide away all weekend, he was a gay man and that was absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. 

As they lined up for the national anthem on Sunday all 20 drivers stood with their respective t-shirts on. Pierre wasn't sure why he did it but he reached out and held Charles' hand as well as Lewis' who was stood the other side of him. Maybe it was an extra show of solidarity or maybe he just thought it would allow Charles to also reach out for Max's hand and provide extra support to each other in this moment together. Either way he was pleased when his action seemed to be mirrored  down the line and all 20 drivers held hands as they stood proudly in support of not just Max but for LGBTQ+ people everywhere. 

Pierre's good deed seem to be rewarded as he found himself on the podium alongside Max and Lando and he had to admit that the taste of the champagne had never felt so good. He was back in his driver's room taking a picture with the trophy when Charles came in to congratulate him.  

"You were amazing this weekend" Charles said as he hugged his friend. 

"Well, I got a little lucky really with the safety cars" Pierre responded trying to downplay his result a little. Luck really had been on his side today.

"No, not just that, what you did for Max too, I thought that was really good of you." Charles explained.

"Well I wanted to let him know I support him, that I am truly happy for him, like I would be for any of my friends. I would always hope that my friends felt comfortable coming to me about anything, I would always support them."

There was silence. Charles had known Pierre long enough to understand the implications of his words and the tone. Pierre wasn't just talking about Max.

"How long have you known?" Charles asked.

"I know you spent at least one night with Max in Italy and I suspected it was more than a one night thing."

Charles was a little taken aback, he had assumed Pierre knew he was gay but not that he knew about Max. He couldn't help but panic a little. 

"Why didn't you say anything sooner?" Charles stuttered a little, struggling to get his words out.

" I wanted to let you come to me, I didn't want to pressure you. So am I right, was it more than one night?"

Charles wasn't sure how to answer. He didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He had been waiting so long to tell someone and one of his best friends had known all along. 

"Yes you are right. Pierre, I am gay and I am in a relationship with Max Verstappen" Charles laughed as he said the words out loud. 

"Why are you laughing?" Pierre asked amused. 

"I don't know, it just seems strange to say it out loud. I am in love with Max"

"Wait, you are in love?" Pierre asked shocked. 

"Yes" Charles couldn't wipe the huge smile off his face as Pierre wrapped him in a hug so tight Charles could barely move. 

"Charles I am so happy for you, you deserve this so much. I'm happy for you both" Pierre said with complete sincerity.

Suddenly Charles felt a huge weight lifted from him. He had finally said the words out loud to someone other than Max. He had finally told someone and they had embraced him. He felt tension leaving his body, tension he didn't even realise he had been carrying around. Maybe, just maybe this could be the start, maybe he didn't have to hide from everybody anymore. 

_____________

Thank you to everyone who is still reading, voting and commenting <3 <3

As I am away this week the updates won't be quite as regular so next couple chapters will be posted 27th August and 31st August .