II. THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF AN OFFICE JOB

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter two

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THERE WERE A LOT OF THINGS A STEAMING CUP OF TEA COULD FIX, BUT THIS

                    THERE WERE A LOT OF THINGS A STEAMING CUP OF TEA COULD FIX, BUT THIS... THIS WAS NOT ONE OF THEM. Evelyn had never expected to work at Dunder Mifflin forever. She hoped she wouldn't. But knowing that she could lose her job so soon did frighten her. She sat between Jim and Dwight, the tip of her fingernail tapping against the ceramic mug Angela had bought her for Christmas the year before. Jim's eyes were glued to it, unable to look away.

          "Are you worried?" she asked him, taking a sip from her cup. His eyes flickered up to meet hers a moment after, finger pressed to his closed mouth, his body leaned to the side. He shook his head with a small shrug of his shoulders. "Nah," he replied. "I'm sure I could... find another job. Maybe travel?"

          She nodded her head. It was just like Jim to act cool in a stressful situation. "Are you worried?" She glanced toward him, cradling her hot mug closer to her. The warmth was enough to calm the nerves she had been feeling, at least to an extent of stopping the shakes of her hands. Unable to lie, she nodded her head. "Kind of," she admitted. "I mean, I haven't been here as long as you guys and I'm just customer service anyway."

          "It won't be you," Dwight stated. He didn't spare the two a glance once, giving them no indication that he had possibly been eavesdropping. Their heads turned toward the slender man, the reflection of his monitor in his glasses. Even with their eyes on him, he acted as if he had never been included in the conversation. "Why do you say that, Dwight?" she asked. Jim straightened in his seat. He used the back of his hand to nudge her thigh.

          She brushed his hand away. Finally, with the sheer power of her hopeful stare, Dwight turned to her. Their eyes met. "There are less of you than there are of us," he stated. "Meaning, they cannot afford to lose you. If one of sales, or accounting, is fired, they still have enough people to take over the fired person's tasks."

          "Exactly," Jim exclaimed. Evelyn glanced toward Jim, her brows furrowed. "You're irreplaceable." Dwight's face scrunched up, his mouth opening as if he was going to disagree. "Right... Dwight?" Jim stared hard at the man next to him. Evelyn rolled her eyes, clearly unimpressed by their answers. Sure, there were only two customer service agents. She and Kelly had enough trouble keeping up with their share alone, but that doesn't grant them invincibility.

          "They are most likely going to fire the weakest link," she explained. "And that could very well be me. Or Phyllis... Or Kevin." The three looked behind them where the other two salesmen sat. Phyllis was talking with Stanley while Kevin sat at his desk, fist deep in a glass container of M&M's. Both Jim and Evie shuddered. "If you're so scared of losing your job, perhaps you should go back to your desk and do your job," Dwight suggested.