XXIV. HER LOSS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter twenty four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    EVERY TIME SHE'S CALLED INTO MICHAEL'S OFFICE, A YEAR IS TAKEN OFF OF HER LIFE

                    EVERY TIME SHE'S CALLED INTO MICHAEL'S OFFICE, A YEAR IS TAKEN OFF OF HER LIFE. Not literally, of course, but it sure feels like it. Is saying that dramatic? Probably.

           Evelyn sat across from Michael as he used two pencils as drumsticks against the corner of his desk. He had been doing it since she opened the door, or maybe even before. She wasn't entirely sure, but the sound was starting to get on her nerves.

          "Michael," she blurted out, catching his eyes for a moment. He didn't stop, however, or keep eye contact. Instead he closed his eyes and finished off his solo. Once he was done, he set the pencils to the side and offered the brunette a smile.

          "Hello, Evelyn," he greeted her kindly, folding his hands before him on top of his desk. She sighed. "Is there something you needed, Michael?"

          He didn't waste time. "I have questions about the female youth. Preferably your age, maybe older? I can't really tell." He motioned toward her face with a scrunched nose. "You've got a childlike essence to you. Must be your heritage."

          "Michael," she warned. She could already feel the drum of a migraine coming on. He apologized with raised hands. "Would a woman your age... like a man in a suit?" he asked, picking up a pen off to the side and clicking it on. Evelyn eyed his hand for a moment before shrugging. "It depends. Is it well tailored?"

          "Yes," he blurted out. "And very expensive." His eyes glanced toward his own suit, lips pursed. Evelyn nodded. "Uh...huh. Well, I guess so. Most women like a well dressed man." Michael wrote something down onto the notepad beside him. "Excellent," he exhaled. "Next question... What about humor? Do girls still like funny guys?"

          Evelyn nodded. It was true, at least in her case. She loved a man with a sense of humor. Michael wrote something else down before smiling toward Evelyn. "Grooming," he stated, wiggling his fingers. Her face paled. "Hair. Is it bad?"

          She opened her mouth with no words formulating in the forefront of her brain. "Do women... prefer bald men? Naked men?" Her hands were quick to press against her ears. Surprise flashed across Michael's face. "What? What did I say?" he asked. "Fi– What about sex?"

          Evelyn released a painful noise as she shot out of her seat. With her fingers still pressed into her ears, she approached Michael's door. "Is sex on the first date too risky?" he continued. "I need to know!" She snatched open the door and hurried out of his office, his office door slamming loudly behind her.