XIV. THE ALLIANCE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fourteen

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    PAM DIDN'T USUALLY COME BACK TO EVELYN'S SIDE OF THE OFFICE, BUT WHEN SHE DID, IT WAS FOR A REASON

                    PAM DIDN'T USUALLY COME BACK TO EVELYN'S SIDE OF THE OFFICE, BUT WHEN SHE DID, IT WAS FOR A REASON. Evelyn jumped at the sudden call of her name, the redhead standing at the corner of the unstable wall between Toby and the customer service agents. Her face held a look of disbelief and irritation. "Michael?" Evelyn whispered, already guessing just who was behind this visit.

          And she was right. Michael had made a rash decision, and Pam needed her help. "We have to throw Meredith a surprise birthday party," she said. Her hands twisted in front of her, desperation filling her eyes. "And you want me to be a mediator," Evelyn concluded. Her chair spun around to face the receptionist. "Yes."

━━━━━━━━━━

EVELYN
Pam and Angela don't really... get along. So, when a party comes up, Pam usually asks me to sit in to make sure they don't start fighting.

[ SHE SIGHS. THE CAMERA SLOWLY ZOOMS IN ON HER FACE. ]

EVELYN
It's not– It's not an easy job. At all. But it beats sitting at a phone all day, you know?

━━━━━━━━━━

          "Well, for decorations, maybe we could... it's stupid, forget it."

          Evelyn had a book propped open in her lap. She had been meaning to finish it for months, but had never had the time. Sitting in the party committee's conference seemed like the perfect time to finally crack it open. Her eyes flickered up to see Phyllis cowering in on herself. "What?" Angela asked, all eyes turning to the older woman curiously.

          "Well, I was just gonna say, maybe we could have streamers, but that's dumb. Everybody has streamers." Instinctively, Evelyn's eyes landed on Angela. She didn't look mad, or annoyed. Instead, she shook her head. "No, yeah, I think that's a good idea," she replied. A smile blossomed across Evelyn's face.

          Her eyes flickered back to her book, continuing where she had left off. "What color do you guys think?" The silence resumed as Phyllis readied herself to speak. All they could hear was the turning of Evelyn's page. "Well, there's green... uh, blue, yellow... red..."

          "How about green?" Pam suggested, getting her pen ready to scribble the words onto the notepad. Angela frowned, her eyes landing on Pam. "I think green is kind of whorish."