L. HAPPY TOGETHER

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fifty

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "TEVO!"

"TEVO!"

          Mark, Jim's roommate, exclaimed in happiness upon spotting the brunette. She held up her own party gift, which consisted of bags of chips and some chocolate she had snuck in. "Mark!" she replied in a similar tone, approaching the two men. Jim was quick to take the bags from her hands. "I told you not to bring anything," he reminded her.

          "I can't just come empty handed," she argued. "But I got chocolate, too. Would you hide it in the fridge for me?" His smile grew and he nodded his head. Leave it to Evelyn Takahashi to bring a snack to a party. "It looks like everyone's here," she said after Jim slipped past her to get to the kitchen. Mark nodded his head. "I haven't seen that Dwight guy, though."

          Her eyes rolled. "We're not making him up," she stated. "Just wait. You'll be eating your words." She gave him a grin before brushing past him and her date, stepping out on the patio where Meredith and Kelly were drinking. "You know his roommate?" Kelly asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

          "Jim and I are friends outside of work, too, Kell," Evelyn reminded her, though the heat in her face did nothing to help her. Meredith handed her a beer from the cooler outside. Evelyn thanked her with a small smile, popping off the top with ease. By the time she turned back to the apartment, Jim was clearing his throat.

          "Quick announcement, everybody. If I could have everybody's attention." Everyone turned toward the host. "We do have wine in the kitchen. And, uh, there is beer available on the porch. And despite what you might think, it's not all for the three ladies outside. So, please enjoy." Evelyn lifted her bottle with a big grin, Jim's face lighting up.

          He waved her over just as Dwight rushed into the room. "Jim," the man exclaimed, "you really think this is a good idea?" He held up the rock Jim and Mark used to hide their key. Evelyn stopped next to them, watching with excited eyes. "Hey, Dwight."

          "Hello, Evelyn," he replied before dumping the key into his palm. "A hide-in key rock?" Mark's face lit up. "Hey, you must be Dwight." Evelyn and Jim shared a knowing look. "You don't work with us," Dwight replied, already building his protective walls. Jim took the bottle of beer from Evelyn's hand and tilted it back. He was going to need a drink if he was going to survive. "That's Mark," Evelyn spoke up. "Jim's roommate."

           "I love the Birkenstocks," Mark continued, motioning toward Dwight's feet. The cold bottle, now half empty, was placed back in her palm. She shot him a playful glare. "Thanks. Yeah, I always keep an extra set in the car for special occasions."