LII. LEADER...SHIP

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fifty two

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "WHY ARE WE AT WORK SO EARLY?" Evelyn asked as Jim ushered her inside

"WHY ARE WE AT WORK SO EARLY?" Evelyn asked as Jim ushered her inside. She had hardly enough time to put on her coat. "You'll see," he replied, a hand pressed to the middle of her back. She threw him a glance before boarding the elevator waiting for them. "Jim, you got me up at four o'clock in the morning," she reminded him. "I think I have a right to know what the hell we're doing."

          His hand moved up her back to stop at the base of her neck. Gently, the digits began rubbing her muscle. "We're meeting a guy for a prank," he replied vaguely. "And I thought you'd get a massive kick out of it." Her head began to roll to the side, a yawn scrunching up her face. She did enjoy their pranks, however being woken up so early and abruptly wasn't enjoyable.

          "I'll make it worth your while," he hummed, using her neck to gently coax her closer. He pressed a soft kiss to her head. "I want breakfast," she stated, crossing her arms over her chest. He grinned, wrapping his arm now entirely over her shoulders. "Breakfast it is." She wrapped her arm loosely around his waist, leaning into his side.

          The elevator doors opened, leading them out to the dark corridor. Jim exited first, his hand held within hers, leading her toward the bullpen. The lights flickered on, bathing the office in yellow glow. "So, who are we meeting?" she asked, brushing hair from her face. He glanced over his shoulder for a split second before leading her toward the break room. "Steve, the guy that fills the vending machines."

          "What are we going to be putting into the vending machine?" she asked. Jim snickered quietly, opening up the break room door. On the table in a big pile was all of Dwight's things. From his pencil cup to his name plate. Jim had also even gotten his wallet. "Wow," Evelyn blurted out, an impressed expression crossing her features. "Hardcore."

          He spun around with a big grin, outstretching his arms. "You know me," he said, his words laced with humor. Her eyes rolled at his theatrics. It was then that the door behind them opened once more. Pushing a dolly was Steve, a man that Evelyn wasn't entirely familiar with. "Hey," he greeted the two, offering them a smile. "Thanks for doing this, man."

          Steve shrugged his shoulders. "It adds a little excitement to my day," he replied nonchalantly. She snorted to herself. Hands moved to her waist, eyes flickering toward the tall and devious man. "You'll have a few minutes to get it in. I'm not supposed to be here this week," Steve said. Both Evelyn and Jim nodded.

          And with that, they went to work packing Dwight's things into the vending machine. She wished she could say that it was all thoroughly planned out, that every item sat at a specific place for a reason. But, in all honesty, they just tossed things in at random. All of it was random. Evelyn glanced toward Jim, a slight smile present on her features.