LIII. TRUTH OR DARE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fifty three

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THE SUN HAD ALREADY BEGUN TO SET BY THE TIME THE DUNDER MIFFLIN CREW HAD MADE IT TO THE DOCKS

                    THE SUN HAD ALREADY BEGUN TO SET BY THE TIME THE DUNDER MIFFLIN CREW HAD MADE IT TO THE DOCKS. Evelyn rode with Jim, hoping he'd be able to calm her unsettled nerves. But once they arrived and she noticed the big ship, she felt like fainting. Her face paled and she grasped his hand tight, eyes wide and unfocused.

"Are you okay?" he asked, leaning forward to catch her gaze. He held her hand gently, using his free hand to run along her arm. She shook her head, her action stiff. "No, no. I don't think I can do this," she whispered. Her eyes screwed closed, mouth clamping shut. There was a tickle in the back of her throat already. Jim glanced over his shoulder and out of his windows to make sure the coast was clear before leaning closer to her. "It's okay," he told her. "It's okay. I know it's scary."

"It is," she agreed, drawing in a quick breath. "It is scary." His hand moved from her arm to the back of her head, smoothing over her hair. "There's an inside. We can stay there," he suggested. "And when we board, you can close your eyes and I'll lead you up there. Or Pam can." She whimpered at the thought of having to board the vessel. Sure, they were only in a lake, but the water is unpredictable.

He moved close enough for his forehead to touch her temple. She turned her head toward him, sniffling. Her fingers laced between his and they sat there like that for a moment, in silence. "Can Dwight walk with us?" she asked, her voice so small Jim almost didn't catch it. Jim glanced up at the woman. Her eyes remained closed, dark lashes sweeping across her ample cheeks. Her skin was slowly regaining color. "Yeah," he replied. "If it makes you feel better, then for sure."

She chanced a quick kiss that left his heart hammering away in his chest. "Thank you," she whispered, squeezing his hand gently. He sighed, head resting against the headrest of his seat. His eyes followed her as she unbuckled and fixed her hair. Once she was ready, the two exited the car and made their way to board the ship.

Evelyn was the first to see Dwight. Her steps quickened as she rushed toward him, hand immediately reaching for his elbow. He stopped, brows drawn, and spun toward the girl. "Will you walk with us?" she asked. "Preferably between me and the water?"

Dwight's eyes flickered toward Jim for a split second. "Yes," he replied almost instantly, meeting her eyes once more. Her face broke out into a big smile. "I'll owe you one, Dwight," she whispered. Her grip on his arm tightened slightly before Jim reached her other side. They moved past Michael, nodded at the boat's actual captain.