XVII. MR. BIG SHOT

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seventeen

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "YOUR TOASTER OVEN BROKE

"YOUR TOASTER OVEN BROKE."

Pam looked up at Evelyn, her expression resembling an animal pleading for mercy. Her first instinct was to comment on the length of Pam's engagement. Most people don't wait three years after they're engaged to get married, if they ever get married. Seeing her expression had her biting her tongue. "I just wanted a bagel and then it died, and it burned the bottom of the bagel," the redhead explained sadly.

"You look like you need something sweet," Evelyn stated. She looked over her shoulder where Jim sat. He was hard at work, or so it seemed. Pam followed her line of sight curiously. "What are we looking at?" she asked, snapping the brunette out of her trance. She turned back toward Pam with raised brows. "Nothing," she replied.

Pam's eyes narrowed at Evelyn suspiciously. She'd calmed down her attempts after speaking with Jim. He may have said that he didn't like Evelyn, but she knew better. "I would like something sweet, though," she exhaled, tilting her head toward the brunette. Evelyn smiled down at the redhead, reaching forward and moving her hair from her forehead.

"Only because you're cute," she replied, her left eye dropping in a wink. Pam smiled widely, dimples popping out around the corners of her mouth. Just as Evelyn pushed away from the counter, the front door opened. A dark haired man entered dressed in a khaki uniform. Evelyn stopped in her tracks, her eyes widening.

Pam smiled at the stranger. "Can I help you?" she asked out of instinct. He nodded his head, bright blue eyes crinkling as he showcased a dazzling smile. "I've got a package," he said. Unconsciously, Evelyn's eyes scanned over the man's build. He was fit. His arms were a nice size, legs too. And his butt... "It's for Michael Scott."

Her eyes snapped back toward his face. Noticing her staring, he glanced toward the brunette. He offered a soft smile, one that made her stomach twist up into knots. "I'll sign for it," Pam sighed. She was used to doing so for Michael. She took the clipboard stretched out toward her.

"Hi," he greeted the brunette. She blinked, her glasses slipping a centimeter down her nose. Jim's ears perked up. "Hi," she replied, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Jim glanced toward the receptionist desk with furrowed brows.

"I'm assuming you work here," the delivery man continued. "Or else you'd be wearing a visitor's pass, right?" She nodded, a small smile crawling at the corner of her mouth. He matched her nod, exhaling a soft laugh. "My name's Calum."