IX. AM I A WOMAN?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "I HAVE SOMETHING HERE," Michael exclaimed, picking up the backwards corkboard lined with different note cards

                    "I HAVE SOMETHING HERE," Michael exclaimed, picking up the backwards corkboard lined with different note cards. "I want you to take a card, put it on your fore– don't look at the card." Pam paused, looking up at Michael with wide eyes. "I want you to take the card. And I want you to put it on your forehead." Evelyn took one, her finger grazing the corner nervously.

          "And take a card. Take a card, any card," he continues to pass down the board, the cards going one by one. "Um, and I want you to treat other people like the race that is on your forehead." There was a sticky piece on the card that clung to her baby hairs. She pressed the paper tighter against her skin to ensure it sticks. "Okay? So everyone has a different race. Nobody knows what their race is."

          Evelyn glanced toward Pam to see the word 'JEWISH' in big letters on her note card. She muffled her gasp with her hand. Pam did the same upon seeing Evelyn's. "So I want you to really go for it because this is real. You know, this isn't just an exercise. This is real life." Michael then proceeded to put on his own card, 'MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.' written across the surface. "And I have a dream that you will really let the sparks fly."

          He clapped his hands, the sound startling both Evelyn and Pam. "Get er done!" he exclaimed. With that, he moved back to his corner to allow his employees to get to work. Evelyn grimaced, a certain dread sitting in her stomach. They stood, approaching their co-workers.

          "Wow, um, greetings," Meredith greeted Evelyn awkwardly. The brunette exhaled a small sigh. "Hola, Meredith," she replied. Her eyes flickered from the card to Meredith's face. The redhead's face lit up. "Oh, am I Mexican?" Evelyn shook her head. "Close."

          "Okay, um, well, I really like the movie about your princess. It was a very cute Disney film." Curiously, Evelyn began to think over the Disney princesses. A majority of them are white, like Sleeping Beauty and Ariel. "Am I white?" she asked, though she knew it probably wasn't that easy. Meredith shook her head. "Well, a lot of people tend to get your waxes."

          "Brazil!" Meredith exclaimed. A genuine smile crawled over Evie's face with Meredith's excitement. "Yes!" she cheered, laughing along with her. She had probably made it too easy with the wax thing, but seeing Meredith so happy to get it was nice. "Is this supposed to be a darker version of Guess Who?"

          She spun around to find Jim had returned. His eyes widened upon seeing her card. "Oh, wow," he sighed. Evelyn felt that familiar weight return to her stomach. "That bad?" she asked fearfully. "No, no, not at all," he replied. "They're beautiful people. Very resourceful."