LXIII. WORKER'S UNION

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter sixty three

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "SO, GUYS' GRIPE SESSION

                    "SO, GUYS' GRIPE SESSION."

Jim's eyes cut toward the camera. Michael was sitting in front of everyone, his shirt unbuttoned three buttons down. His chest was exposed, looking a bit like David Hasselhoff. "Here we have. Now, we definitely live in different worlds, but we have a lot in common," he said. Jim looked down, visibly uncomfortable with the conversation. "You know, we're guys. So..."

"Hey... do you want me to go?"

Heads turned to the only woman in the room. Michael's brows raised. "No... why would I..." It was then that the men realized that perhaps Michael didn't realize she was a woman. Which surprised Jim, considering she looked like a woman in every way. "You could..."

She shook her head. "I'll go," she offered, already rising to her feet. Michael's eyes cut toward the camera in embarrassment. He sucked his teeth to his teeth before clearing his throat. "Alright. Uh, guy talk."

━━━━━━━━━━

          "And a big walk-in closet," Phyllis said. Meredith, Kelly, and Angela all seemed to agree with her. A walk-in closet would be a nice addition to a perfect house. It wasn't something Evelyn had dreamed of, but she did obsess over the closet in The Princess Diaries 2. She sat back, legs crossed and looking somewhat bored. The seminar wasn't exactly what she had expected, but it also wasn't too different.

          "Great," Jan replied with a polite smile. "And, Pam, what about you? What is your dream?" The redhead looked up from her notebook in slight surprise. A majority of the time, she had avoided speaking up. She was used to that, anyway, with being the note taker in their usual meetings. She glanced toward Jan like a deer caught in the headlights. "Oh. Um, well... I always dreamed of a house with a terrace upstairs. Plant flowers on it, stuff like that."

          She barely felt her smile grow. Evelyn's eyes were trained on Pam with a smile on her face. Pam looked a bit shy. "Since I was a girl, um... More seriously, though, a husband that I love. Roy." Evelyn's smile turned into a slight grimace. "And... I love to draw. And I did a little in college. And I'd still love to do something where I could work with art or graphic design in some way."

          Jan's demeanor shifted. Her lips parted in surprise at Pam's words. "She's really good, too," Evelyn spoke up. Phyllis nodded in agreement. "Real good," she vocalized her agreement. Pam's cheeks grew redder under their praise. Jan seemed to take their statements rather seriously. "You know, the company is offering a design training program in New York," Jan informed the redhead.