LXXVI. MONTE CARLO

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seventy six

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    EVELYN DIDN'T REALLY THINK SHE WAS GOING TO SPEND THE DAY HELPING PAM PICK A WEDDING BAND

                    EVELYN DIDN'T REALLY THINK SHE WAS GOING TO SPEND THE DAY HELPING PAM PICK A WEDDING BAND. Especially since Roy was supposed to do it. She sat in her chair, her legs propped up into Pam's lap. "And why isn't Roy watching these with you?" she asked, glancing away from the KISS cover band playing on the television screen. Pam sighed. "He's focused on his bachelor party right now."

"Of course he is," Evelyn said. She rolled her eyes. She should have known Roy would back out like this. "Pam, are you sure you want to go through with this? All he's done is decide the date for the wedding."

"Yes, I am," she immediately answered. "Not everyone gets a perfect partner like you and Jim did." Evelyn frowned. She sat up straighter, her legs dropping to the floor. She didn't like being compared to other relationships. Not when her and Jim have had their own fair share of problems. "Jim and I are not perfect," she argued. "And a partner doesn't have to be perfect to help out. Weddings are stressful as hell, and you're also working here. You deserve a medal for what you're doing right now."

          She rolled her eyes at Evelyn's words. She didn't feel like she deserved a medal. In all honesty, she felt like she just needed a good night's sleep. "Enough about me. What's going on with you and Jim? Are you still talking about the transfer?" Her brows rose curiously. The video on the television completely forgotten now as the subject shifted. Evelyn flushed. "Kind of," she replied. Her voice grew meek, shy. Pam seemed to notice almost instantly. "Spill. What happened?"

          The door was closed. Everyone else seemed to be working. She glanced over her shoulder anyway before meeting Pam's eyes once more. "Last night, we were talking about it.. and Jim told me he loved me." Pam couldn't stop the gasp that sounded from her mouth. Her hands flew to cover her surprise. Evelyn laughed at her friend's reaction, obviously feeling a bit embarrassed. "And I said it back," she finished with a smile. Of course, this wasn't the first time, but it was the first time she's told anyone.

"Oh, my God!" Pam exclaimed. She hurriedly grabbed Evelyn's hands and bounced in her chair. "Oh, my God, Evie! That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you!" Evelyn's smile warmed exponentially as Pam gushed over her. It was hard not joining in on the celebration, especially with how excited Pam seemed to get. "Does that mean you're done talking about the transfer?"

Evelyn paused. "It's good money, Pam. Plus it's New York. I'm sure once he's situated up there and we get an apartment, I'll be able to find a job. And we can live happily ever after." Pam's eyes widened. Leave? She couldn't imagine not having Evelyn around, or Jim. The thought of losing them both had her skin crawling. "You're planning on leaving?" she asked. Evelyn's lips parted. It was like she'd just heard what she'd said. "Well, eventually. Not now, but sometime. Do you really think you'll stay here for the rest of your life?"