XLIV. MICHAEL V DWIGHT

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter forty four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    EVELYN PARKED A LITTLE BIT AWAY, WATCHING AS A FEW OF THEIR CO-WORKERS WALKED TOWARD THE BUILDING

EVELYN PARKED A LITTLE BIT AWAY, WATCHING AS A FEW OF THEIR CO-WORKERS WALKED TOWARD THE BUILDING. Jim was the first to unbuckle, glancing toward the brunette. "You ready?" he asked. Her eyes flickered from her hands on the steering wheel to Jim, bottom lip bitten between her teeth.

           She had noticed something off ever since Jim had apologized for not standing up for her. She wasn't sure what had gone wrong, but it was beginning to bug her. Her eyes met his for a split second before she leaned over her console and pecked his lips. "I'm ready," she replied, cracking a shy smile. Jim chased her lips, pressing a firmer kiss to her mouth.

          Kissing her had proven to be much better than he had ever imagined. She giggled softly, her fingers moving to caress his round cheek. "Let's make a bet before we go in," she hummed. Jim nuzzled his nose into hers, eyes closed. "Okay," he replied, his response breathless. Her top lip grazed his slightly.

           Her glasses were pressing into his face, but he didn't care. He was too absorbed in savoring her taste, in memorizing her scent. "My money's on Dwight," she said, pulling away. His eyes fluttered open to watch her unbuckle her seatbelt. "I think Michael's a bit tougher than you think," he stated, smiling over at the girl. She rolled her eyes, reaching into the back of her car to hide her bag under her chair.

           "No, seriously," Jim pushed, pushing open his door. With her things hidden from sight, she turned off her vehicle and withdrew her keys. "I still think Dwight could kick his ass," she told him, pushing open her own door. He snorted, shutting the door after him. His elbows rested on the top of her car, waiting to meet her eyes from over the car.

          She stood opposite of him, raising her eyebrows challengingly. "He's a purple belt, Jim." His eyes rolled skyward dramatically and pulled away from the vehicle. "Purple belt, shurple melt." She laughed at his childish response and locked her car. "Watch it. I was also a purple belt."

          "Are you threatening me?" he questioned, placing a palm to his chest. "How dare you kiss me and threaten me in the span of five minutes." She hurriedly shushed him, eyes widened behind her glasses. She wasn't ashamed of kissing him, but she wasn't exactly looking forward to everyone's reaction if they find out.

          "You are so loud," she told him as he crossed the back of the car to come up beside her. He held out his hand for her keys, to which she gave them up. "Maybe you're just quiet," he argued, sliding her keys into his back pocket. She elbowed him lightly, ignoring the way her face heated up at the jab.