XLI. 50 FIRST DATES

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter forty one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    HER GIGGLES FELT LIKE WIND CHIMES IN HIS EARS

                    HER GIGGLES FELT LIKE WIND CHIMES IN HIS EARS. His hands refused to part from her flushed skin, his face hidden within her sweet smelling hair. Evelyn struggled with the lock on her door, her hands shaky and vision blurred. "Let me try," Jim offered, his hand overlapping hers. He squinted at the deadbolt, chin now resting on her shoulder.

          After two more tries, the door finally unlocked. She spun around in his embrace and flung her arms around his shoulders. Their lips met impatiently, his hands twisting the doorknob to allow them inside. Feet stumbled across the threshold, mouths feverishly pressed together. Her hands tugged gently at his hair and at the buttons of his shirt. Her door shut loudly behind them, pausing their ministrations.

          She sucked in a sharp breath, sparkling eyes flickering from his to her door. "Crap," he mumbled, a giggle reverberating from deep within his chest. She quickly covered her mouth. "It doesn't matter," she assured him. "We're usually the perfect neighbors." His arms wound around her waist tighter, forcing their chests together. "You sure are perfect," he replied, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

          She sighed at the warmth encasing her body. "Says you," she retorted. "Mr. Good at basketball and sales." She pressed a kiss to his mouth. "Mr. I know I'm handsome, but I'm too humble to admit it." Another kiss to his cheek. "Mr. Prince Charming."

          "Not that I don't love the compliments," he began, his hands settling behind her legs. He picked her up with ease, her legs wrapping around his torso. "But I'd much rather kiss you." She grasped his cheeks between her hands with a light laugh. "What are you waiting for, cowboy?"

          He didn't waste time. Their mouths met in the middle, lips parted, and tongues fighting desperately for dominance. His legs took them further into her apartment, directly in the direction of her bedroom. He was grateful he had memorized the layout of her apartment. A soft sigh slipped past her lips as they broke the threshold of her bedroom.

          "My makeup," she whispered. He paused, eyes blinking against the darkness. "My makeup is going to get everywhere." He stood there for a moment, absorbing her words. Her legs began slipping from his waist. He loosened his grip to allow her to find her footing. She reached behind him and felt on the wall for her light switch.

          The light flickered on, blinding the two. "Let me take off my makeup and we can get back to business," she told him, reaching for his hands. He nodded, silently. She offered him a grin before slipping past him and toward the bathroom. "Do you need a makeup wipe?" she asked, and Jim finally returned to the present. He spun around and walked down the small hall toward the lit up bathroom.