XXXIV. GOING FOR GOLD

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter thirty four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    EVELYN REALLY THOUGHT TOBY HAD THE COFFEE RACE IN THE BAG

EVELYN REALLY THOUGHT TOBY HAD THE COFFEE RACE IN THE BAG. He was fast and had incredible balance. Even with Oscar bumping into him, not a single drop of coffee spilled over the rim of his mug. She was impressed and she would happily admit that if someone asked.

"Final lap! Final lap!" Jim cheered, his eyes flickering from Dwight's stopwatch in his hand and the contestants. "Time to beat is 1:15. Time to beat is one minute, fifteen seconds. And here they come!" Everyone cheered for the two, excitement buzzing in the air. Evelyn toyed with the gold medal hanging around her neck.

Just before they could cross the finish line, the main door opened and in came Michael Scott with Dwight trailing after him. Evelyn cleared her throat as everyone began moving back to their seats. Her hand met Jim's arm as he looked around in pure confusion.

They goofed off all of the time. Michael never really cared if they were working hard because he always seemed to have his own shenanigans to put into play. "Guys?" he called out to the two men retreating to their respective places. He glanced toward Evelyn, his brows furrowed.

"What is going on?" Dwight asked, his eyes immediately finding the stopwatch in Jim's hand. Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Nothing, Dwight," she replied, her hand slipping from Jim's bicep. With a huff, she turned back to head toward the annex. "Guys? We still going or–"

"That's my stopwatch," Dwight deadpanned. Jim sighed, his shoulders slumping forward. He took off Dwight's stopwatch and dropped it into the bespectacled man's palm. "Whatever," he sighed.

━━━━━━━━━━

EVELYN
It sucks that we didn't get to do the closing ceremonies.. Those are always my favorite part in the real Olympics. Plus, I got a gold medal.

[ EVELYN SHOWS OFF THE BLUE YOGURT LID STILL DANGLING FROM HER NECK WITH A PROUD SMILE. ]

EVELYN
I had Horse in the bag. They didn't even know what hit them.

━━━━━━━━━━

CaptainJimJam: I finished my expense reports.

TheLostEvie: Oh, wow. Congratulations.

CaptainJimJam: And closed two sales.

TheLostEvie: Looks like the office olympics inspired you to finally be productive.