VII. I LIKE SUPERHEROES

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THERE ARE TONS OF THINGS MICHAEL SCOTT DOES THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED

                    THERE ARE TONS OF THINGS MICHAEL SCOTT DOES THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED... INSENSITIVE. But the Chris Rock routine was on a different level. Evelyn sat back, twisting the bracelet on her wrist as Kevin cleared his throat. "Basically there are two types of black people." She visibly cringed at his montonamous delivery.

          "And black people are actually more racist because they hate the other type of black people," he continued. Michael could barely sit still. He wiped the sweat from his brow, his hands clenched together in faux pain. "See, every time the one type wants to have a good time then the other type comes in and makes a real mess."

          "Okay," Michael grumbled in annoyance. "I'm, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. He's ruin— He's butchering it." Jim glanced over his shoulder toward Evelyn to see her with her head down. Her fingers had wiggled inside of her ears to block out the inevitable chaos. A small smile crawled across his round face.

          "I'm, just let me– Every time, every time black people wanna have a good time, some ignorant ass—"

          Disbelief crossed over their faces. Evelyn's palms covered her ears, her head dropping further. "I take care of my kids–"

          "Wait, wait, wait," Mr. Brown tried to step in. Michael looked at him, though he attempted to continue his skit. "Wait a second."

          "They always want credit for something they supposed to do!"

          "Stop it!" Mr. Brown exclaimed. His resolve was dissipating. Jim reached over just enough to tap his pointer finger against her knee, tearing her attention away from keeping out the noise. A heavy silence fell over the room. Slowly, she pulled her hands away, glancing around the room.

          He appeared done. Mr. Brown turned back to the cards in his hands, hoping to further the conversation. Michael, however, had other plans. He held out his hand, the ghost of a smirk on his face. "What you want? A cookie?"

          It was then that Evelyn realized that she had lost their bet. Her shoulders sagged forward, a pout crossing her face. Jim wore a shit eating grin that she so desperately wanted to wipe off of his face. But she didn't. Not yet, anyway.

━━━━━━━━━━

JIM
That was fun. And now, I'm in the green for getting a sleeve of oreo cookies.