XXXVI. EVERYBODY HURTS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter thirty six

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "OKAY, I THOUGHT PEOPLE READ MORE BOOKS," Jim said, awkwardly

"OKAY, I THOUGHT PEOPLE READ MORE BOOKS," Jim said, awkwardly. "DVDs. Five movies. What would you bring to the island?" Dwight lifted his hand. Evelyn noticed that Dwight really liked this game, even though he wasn't following the rules very well. He also took it a bit too literal, but Evelyn liked that. It was funny.

          "Yes. Meredith." The older redhead smiled upon getting picked. "Legends of the Fall, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Legally Blonde, Bridges of Madison County... And Ghost. But, uh, just that one scene." She moved her hands out in front of her and began gyrating her hips. Evelyn's head ducked away as an embarrassed blush decorated her cheeks.

          "What about Evelyn?" Pam asked. Her head snapped up, cheeks burning a bright red. Jim scoffed. "The Lost Boys," he said, her brows furrowing. "It's her all-time favorite movie." Her arms crossed over her chest. "Um... Men in Black, The Lost Boys, The Fox and the Hound, Pretty in Pink, and American Psycho."

          Phyllis released a soft sigh. "Oh, I just love Molly Ringwald." Pam nodded in agreement. "I like Sixteen Candles," Kevin admitted. Phyllis gasped lightly. "That is such a good movie."

          "Molly Ringwald is just such a good actress," Evelyn continued. Pam's attention was completely stolen now. "Blane or Ducky?" she asked the brunette. For a split second, her eyes flickered over toward Jim. He reminded her a lot of Ducky. He was funny, caring, and sweet. She cleared her throat, returning her gaze to the redhead. "Ducky. One hundred percent."

          "Really? I quite like Blane," Phyllis said. Kelly glanced between the three, a confused furrow between her brows. "Are these old movies?" she asked. Phyllis frowned. "They're from the eighties," Evelyn replied. "But I wouldn't necessarily call them old—"

          Her words died on her tongue. Jim was watching her, his expression soft. Her whole body felt warm under his gaze. He cleared his throat, tearing his attention away from the brunette standing opposite of him. "Uh, Pam. Why don't you get us back into it?" he asked.

          She shrugged her shoulders. "Okay... Um, Fargo, Edward Scissorhands, Dazed and Confused."

          "Ooh, definitely in my top five," Jim commented. She scoffed lightly. "Yeah, in my top three, so suck it." Evelyn snorted. "Breakfast Club," Pam continued, "um, the Princess Bride and—"

          "Okay, that's five," Jim interrupted her. Suddenly, something began to jiggle behind them. It sounded like a sheet of metal getting flung around. Curiously, Evelyn spun around to see Dwight kicked a sign on the wall. "Dwight!" she called out to him.