LVII. MINIVAN ADVENTURES

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fifty seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    DWIGHT'S BEEN ACTING EVEN MORE WEIRD SINCE BILLY LEFT

                    DWIGHT'S BEEN ACTING EVEN MORE WEIRD SINCE BILLY LEFT. He's staring off into space, twitching. He forgets what he's going to say as soon as he opens his mouth. But Jim's been watching him closely. He hadn't thrown up again, or passed out. He's still upright and breathing, so Jim counted it as a win.

"Yeah, baby!" Michael exclaimed, coming out of his office with a big smile. Evelyn rolled her eyes, sipping at the hot tea in her mug. "I am feelin' better. My body's literally healing itself. It is amazing what the human body is capable of when you have a powerful brain."

Pam shared a knowing look with Evelyn. The two stood silently at her desk, sharing a bit of social time. Evelyn, truthfully, was only there to keep an eye on Dwight and have her usual tea. But having Pam's company does wonders on a worried brain. "Ohh, finally feel the blood coursing through my foot veins.

A thud startled the office. Evelyn set down her mug when she noticed Dwight had fallen onto his desk. "Oh! Okay, I think we need to take him to the hospital," Jim stated, rounding his desk to help Dwight up. "I'm pretty sure he has a concussion." Michael scoffed in disbelief at his employees.

"Oh, now you feel some compassion for him," their boss snapped. Even Angela was feeling frantic for the bespectacled man. "Michael, he crashed his car into the pole. He needs to go to the hospital," Evelyn said, her tone firm. Jim could barely contain the shiver that descended down his spine. "You're his emergency contact, so you should come with."

"I want Michael to take me," Dwight said. Jim had his head pressed to his stomach to keep him upright, hands on either side. Michael sighed. "I can't take you. I don't have my car," he argued. "And yours is all vomity."

Evelyn couldn't believe it. She glanced toward Jim. "You can take my van," Meredith offered. Michael didn't seem happy with her now. "Oh, okay, that's great. No, I can't drive. Jim, why don't you drive?" Jim huffed, clearly annoyed with how slow this process was going. "Fine."

"I'll come with," Evelyn suggested. "Dwight, is that okay?" He glanced toward the brunette with a dopey grin. "You should stay here," Jim told her. "We'll probably be there for a while." Jim rounded Dwight and took his arm in his hand, wrapping it around his shoulders. Slowly, he eased Dwight to his feet. "I should come," she argued. "Michael obviously isn't going to be much help."

He began walking with Dwight toward the door, with Evelyn trailing behind them. "Let's get him to the van and then we'll talk," he told her, ignoring the glare set heavily upon him. Just as he began approaching the door, Dwight's legs began to give out. Dwight began making helicopter noises. "What are you doing?" Jim asked.