LXVII. NICO AND RILEY

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter sixty seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    EVELYN WAS A BIT NERVOUS ABOUT BRING YOUR DAUGHTER TO WORK DAY

EVELYN WAS A BIT NERVOUS ABOUT BRING YOUR DAUGHTER TO WORK DAY. Reason number one being Michael's crude humor. Reason number two being that the kids would end up hating her. There wasn't really a third reason. It seemed Pam had thought the same thing. Her desk was lined with candy dishes, a perfect bribe to get a child close enough to talk. "How are you feeling?" Jim asked, helping her out of her coat. She could lie and say that she's excited, but he'd only see right through her. "Nervous," she answered with an equally nervous laugh.

"Kids are gonna love you," he assured her with a dopey grin. It was nice hearing him say that, especially since she knew he was being sincere. Her nose scrunched up slightly. She wasn't even sure what to talk about with kids these days. "Stop freaking out," Jim said, hands moving to his shoulders. His thumb pressed into the muscle there. "It's just every other day, except some kids may be running around."

She sighed. "Stanley has a middle schooler," Pam added. Evelyn grimaced. Middle schoolers can be mean, teenagers can be mean. She felt like she probably had a better chance with the little ones. "I will see you two later," she told her two friends. Jim released her reluctantly. He had half a mind to kiss her, on the cheek. An innocent peck. But he held back.

          She turned to face him and smiled. "See you," he hummed just as she started to make her way to the annex.

━━━━━━━━━━

EVELYN
I would love to have kids someday. My dream has always been to have at least two kids. I think that kind of stems from being an only child my whole life. I don't want my kids to feel lonely...

[ THERE'S A FARAWAY LOOK IN HER EYES. THEN SHE SMILES. ]

EVELYN
A boy and girl. Riley... and Patrick? I don't know, maybe something else.

━━━━━━━━━━

"Go say hello."

          Evelyn's head picked up at the sound of Toby's voice. Soft footsteps sounded over the carpet until a small child suddenly appeared. She was young and blonde, and she looked a bit like Toby. "Hi, there," Evelyn greeted her gently. The girl smiled slightly, wringing out her fingers in front of her. "My name is Evie. What's your name?"