LXIV. A MILLION THINGS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter sixty four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "ARE YOU MARRIED?" Angela asked

"ARE YOU MARRIED?" Angela asked. They had reconvened after getting their lunches. Evelyn and Pam sat together, their lunch bags sitting in front of them. "I'm divorced," Jan replied, though she didn't understand the relevance. Phyllis frowned for the woman. "That must have been hard." Pam glanced toward the brunette. Neither of them really understood why Angela asked, either, but it wasn't a surprise she was the one who had asked. "It was," Jan sighed.

         "You were probably feeling really depressed and sad, and that's why you did that thing with Michael," Kelly deducted with a somewhat proud tone. Like she was some sort of sleuth. Jan frowned. "I think you should all spend a little more time thinking about your careers and less time on personal stuff." Maybe they were pushing their limits. But the women of Dunder Mifflin are nothing if not gossips. Some more than others. "Mmm, I think we're all okay with the balance we've struck," Phyllis stated. Both Angela and Kelly nodded their heads in agreement.

"At least you don't have kids," Angela said. "You have no kids, right? Thank God." Jan suddenly stood. It seemed that they had pushed her to her limit. "Okay, let's take five. I think we could all use five." Pam and Evelyn shared a look. The room fell quiet. Meredith seemed a little uncomfortable. The topic of divorce always did ruffle her feathers thanks to Michael's awful humor. "How can someone so beautiful be so sad?"

Evelyn grimaced. "So, Pam. Are you thinking about doing the graphic design thing?" she asked, shifting in her seat to face the redhead. Meredith seemed to focus on their conversation, probably to rid the tension in her shoulders. Pam sighed, hands moving to her lap. "I don't know," she admitted. "It sounds really nice, but it's New York. That's crazy, right?"

And maybe it was. Maybe thinking they could be anything more than their current selves is insane. But Evelyn shook her head anyway. "Jan has a point, you know. There will always be a million reasons not to do anything. You just need to find one, good reason to do it." Meredith smiled slightly. "You should do it," she said. "It'll be better than being stuck here." The duo turned to face Meredith. Though they spoke, it was never more than polite conversation. Evelyn felt kind of guilty that she never thought to befriend the woman. "And you'd be a great in supplier relations. You're very good with people."

          "Thanks, Meredith," Evelyn replied with complete sincerity. If one person believed in her then maybe her dream wasn't so crazy after all.

━━━━━━━━━━

           Jim sat at the truck, arms crossed over his chest. Ever since the mention of the union, tensions have been high. Especially for the warehouse team. "Are you sure you wanna join the union?" he asked, glancing toward the bespectacled man and his clipboard. Dwight huffed a breath, tearing his eyes from the inventory list. "You'll lose your job," Jim added. Dwight stood there, quietly. "It boosts morale, maybe," he finds answered with a slight shrug.