XLIX. E-VITATION

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter forty nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    AFTER THE FIASCO THAT MORNING, EVELYN REALLY DIDN'T THINK IT COULD GET WORSE

AFTER THE FIASCO THAT MORNING, EVELYN REALLY DIDN'T THINK IT COULD GET WORSE. But spying on their e-mails? Really? She sat silently at her desk, combing through her e-mails in search of something she didn't want Michael to see.

          A majority of her e-mails are from Dwight and her parents. Every once in a while, she'll get the occasional chain mail, or notifications from her favorite shopping stores. Other than that, there wasn't much. Except one e-mail to her mother.

          She typed in her mother's e-mail address before scrolling through her several e-mails. Ever since her and Jim had started seeing one another, she's been discussing him more in her e-mails. If Michael found out, the whole office would find out. And they aren't even together yet.

          "Deleting your e-mails?" came Kelly's voice from behind her. Evelyn tossed a glance over her shoulder, lips parted in surprise. "Oh, yeah," she replied, focusing back on her screen. Kelly let out a small giggle. "Got anything juicy in there?"

          She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose before clicking one e-mail and pressing the trash can icon. "I just don't want Michael reading through mine and my Mom's messages," she admitted. "I'd die if he decided to air out our messages to the entire office."

          "I can't believe he's surveilling our private e-mails," Kelly stated. "That's got to be illegal, right?" Evelyn shrugged her shoulders before deleting a second one. Hopefully that would be enough to keep her and Jim's names spared. She sat back with a huff, eyes cutting toward the cameraman.

━━━━━━━━━━

EVELYN
E-Mail should be sacred, right?

[ SHE IS BITING HER THUMB NAIL, HER LEG BOUNCING. SHE APPEARS MORE NERVOUS THAN USUAL. ]

EVELYN
Crap. I need to delete more.

[ SHE GETS UP AND ABRUPTLY BUMPS INTO MICHAEL ON HER WAY OUT. BEFORE HE CAN SPEAK TO HER, SHE TURNS ON HER HEELS AND HEADS BACK TO THE ANNEX. ]

━━━━━━━━━━

          "Evelyn has an E-vite," Michael exclaimed, glancing toward the camera with a wiggle of his brows. "From Jim. Not surprising." He blew a raspberry before clicking on the electronic envelope. "Barbeque at Jim's tonight. Tonight? Wonder where my E-vitation is."