LV. FOOT FOREMAN

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fifty five

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "I HAVE OFFICIALLY DECIDED THAT IT'S TIME TO SHOW YOU THE MISS CONGENIALITY MOVIES," Evelyn said, peering over her mug at Jim

                    "I HAVE OFFICIALLY DECIDED THAT IT'S TIME TO SHOW YOU THE MISS CONGENIALITY MOVIES," Evelyn said, peering over her mug at Jim. She occupied Dwight's chair while the bullpen interacted with each other. It was a surprisingly calm morning. Michael nor Dwight had made it in yet, so it was pretty quiet. Peaceful, even.

Jim eyed the brunette curiously. "Those are the Sandra Bullock movies, right?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. She nodded with a confirming hum before taking a sip of her tea. He sighed, swiveling on his chair. "Is it going to be like Legally Blonde?"

"Legally Blonde is a good movie," she argued, "but no. Miss Congeniality is much, much better." Suddenly, the reception phone began to ring. Pam sighed before picking up. "Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam," she spoke into the receiver. Both Jim and Evelyn glanced toward the redhead curiously. "Who do you think it is?" Jim asked. "Michael or Dwight?"

Pam's face broke out into a look of shock. "Michael," Evelyn answered. Jim pursed his lips in thought. They returned to watching Pam. "Michael, what's wrong?" Pam suddenly asked, her tone full of worry. Evelyn silently patted herself on the back. "Okay, wait, wait, wait. Michael, do you need me to call an ambulance?!"

The duo looked at each other in surprise. The whole office seemed to be listening in now. "Okay– Wait a sec, I thought that you said you were hurt." Evelyn waved at Pam, capturing the redhead's attention. Pam ran a hand over her hair in distress. The brunette motioned to her phone before pretending to press a button.

"Speaker," Jim whisper shouted at the redhead, following Evelyn's instructions. She nodded hurriedly and turned toward her phone. Once it was on speaker, the whole office could hear Michael's cries of pain. Jim stood to his feet and approached the desk. "Hey, whoa! Michael!" he tried to call out over Michael's pain. "It's, uh, it's okay. It's Jim."

Evelyn hid her face behind her hands as Phyllis moved behind her. "Just say again, really loudly, what happened," he instructed their boss. Everyone slowly began making their way toward the phone curiously. "Okay," Michael replied before audibly shaking his head, "I burned my foot! Very badly, on my Foreman Grill, and I now need someone to come and bring me to work."

"You burned your foot on a Foreman Grill?" Jim echoed curiously. Evelyn stood to her feet now and hurried to reach the desk. She nudged his arm when she got there, a small smile twinkling within her eyes. "Hey, Michael, it's Evelyn," she spoke up. Their boss sighed heavily across the line. "Wow, okay. Um, have you tried walking it off? Maybe it was an in the moment type of pain."