LXVIII. FUNDLE BUNDLE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter sixty eight

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "WOULD YOU PLEASE COME TO DIXON CITY WITH ME?"

          Jim's jaw tensed. His eyes flickered between Ryan and Evelyn. He already knew that she and Ryan were friends, but it had always been fairly obvious that Ryan had a thing for Evelyn. The brunette stared wide eyed before nodding her head. "Yeah, sure," she replied. "You'd probably... fit through the window easier."

          She snorted. He wasn't wrong. "Okay," she exhaled. "Be right back." Her hand grazed Jim's shoulder as she passed. His eyes, however, remained on Ryan. The younger male avoided his eyes, hands moving to his pockets. "I'll get her back safely," he said, attempting to clear the awkwardness sitting on the back of his tongue. He wasn't originally going to ask her, but he didn't want to go alone. And he sure as Hell didn't want to ask Kelly.

          "Yeah," Jim replied, pointer finger pressed to his lips. Dwight sat back, watching the exchange. He was a bit surprised to see how territorial Jim had gotten. He was like a bird with its brightly colored feathers ruffled. His eyes were those of a predator. A small smirk crossed his lips. "I got my wallet, too," she explained, hurrying toward the two with a bright smile, "for gas and snacks, or whatever. Do you need anything while we're gone?"

          Finally Jim looked at Evelyn. His face visibly softened upon meeting her eyes. "I'm okay," he replied with a small smile. "Thank you." She fixed his hair with a loving smile. "Okay. Dwight?" The bespectacled man shook his head. And, though he didn't say it, she knew that the look he wore was his way of saying thank you. Thank you for thinking about me.

          "Ryan, hurry and go so we have time to see the video," Michael shouted from the conference room. He sighed, looking defeated. It was crazy how much this job could drain a person. "Let's go," Evelyn pushed, squeezing Jim's shoulder. His fingers squeezed hers before she slipped away, following Ryan toward the door.

━━━━━━━━━━

JIM
I'm not worried. I trust Evelyn.

[ JIM CHUCKLES. ]

JIM
Plus, Ryan's too scared to make a move anyway. I mean, if he wasn't, he would have asked her out a long time ago. Right?

━━━━━━━━━━

Ryan's car was small. Smaller than hers, and smaller than Jim's. She wasn't sure why anyone would buy a car so small, especially when they weren't short. And Ryan wasn't short. Neither was Evelyn, which had prompted her train of thought. Her knees were pressed to the dashboard, hands folded in her lap. Music played softly from his radio. His genre of choice was pop.