XLVII. CASUAL?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter forty seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    PERFORMANCE REVIEWS EITHER GO REALLY WELL OR REALLY POORLY

                    PERFORMANCE REVIEWS EITHER GO REALLY WELL OR REALLY POORLY. It's a day Evelyn typically doesn't mind slacking off. Which is how she finds herself in the bullpen, standing opposite of Dwight as he bounced on his new exercise ball. Every time he bounced, he exhaled a sharp breath. It started to sound uncomfortable.

          "You should get one of these," Dwight said. His eyes turned toward Evelyn. She sipped her mug. "I have an extra one for you. It'll really help with your back problems." Her eyes widened and she almost choked on her drink. Curiously, Jim turned toward Evelyn. "Back problems?" he repeated. She set down her mug, cheeks flushed. "I've been sleeping on the couch," she admitted.

          "This fitness orb has completely changed my life," Dwight continued. He had heard the story already. She's having to bomb her room for fleas after Walter had snuck outside. No big deal. She didn't really feel the need to mention it to Jim. "Forget everything you thought you knew about ab workouts."

          "Done," Jim replied. He was starting to get irritated with Dwight. Evelyn cleared her throat, tapping at the rim of her mug. "This ab workout is specifically designed to strengthen your core." Evelyn jumped as Dwight crashed into his organizer, knocking down several things. He apologized, awkwardly, for doing it. "Numerous health benefits."

          Dwight began bouncing on the ball again, forcing out harder breaths. Evelyn hid her face in embarrassment for the man. "Strengthens your back," he continued. "Better performance in sports, more enjoyable sex." Evelyn released a noise of discomfort, her hands now hiding her flushed face. Jim scoffed. "You're not having sex," Jim stated, matter-of-factly.

          The look Dwight wore on his face was enough to have Evelyn squatting. "Can we not talk about sex, please?" she asked. "Specifically Dwight's sex." Jim glanced toward the brunette. He still seemed to be stuck on the fact Dwight had known something about her before he had. That fact really tore into him. "Plus it improves your reflexes," Dwight said. He fell against his giant folder, knocking over Jim's lamp. "I would have caught that."

          "Okay, you know what, uh, how much is that?" Jim asked. Dwight's brows rose. He figured he had just lured Jim over to his side for once. "It's only twenty five bucks," he answered, his tone lifting with surprise. "Wow," Jim replied with faux enthusiasm. Dwight began bouncing higher on the ball, a smile lighting up his face. He almost looked like a kid in a toy store.

           "Okay, great," Jim exhaled before snatching the scissors off of his desk. Evelyn watched in horror as he stood to his feet and approached Dwight, thrusting the blades of the scissors into the ball. The ball deflated loudly, Dwight falling straight onto the floor. Heads turned in surprise at the noise. Evelyn stood to her feet and grabbed her mug. "That's my cue," she whispered, earning a small smile from Jim.