2.) Worth My While

"I need your help," Luz speaks shakily and out of breath as she tries to keep up with Ellie's running.

  "What's up?" She asks, not stopping.

  "After the petrification ceremony, Eda lost her way of making money so we've become bounty hunters." She says before taking a moment to catch her breath. "There's something called a Selkidomus ravaging boats that we can bounty hunt. She already drank all of her apple blood and can't afford to buy more. Can you watch out for me? I don't want to get mixed up with the wrong people."

  "I'll ask the Captain but I'm not sure if he'll say yes. If he does, I'll go with you." She assures.

  "Thank you so much. You get some of the money too if we catch the Selkidomus." Luz adds enthusiastically.

  "You can have my share, I don't want the money." Ellie laughs it off and stops running. Luz dramatically throws herself on the floor, completely out of breath.

  "Running isn't your thing, huh?" Ellie snickers again before lending a hand to help Luz up.

  "Definitely not." She sighs.

  "I'm gonna go ask him, you can come with me if you want. Just hide when I walk into his study." She instructs as they start walking towards the building.

  "What is this building?" Luz asks.

  "This is where we keep the weapons, the food, and water, and where the Captain and I stay. We both have our own apartment-dorm things in here and that's where we stay. The others stay in the tower. So it's like an apartment complex and big kitchen all in one." Ellie explains.

  "Cool. So is the study in his place?" She immediately gets distracted as they step inside the building.

  There are a lot of cases with weapons stuff at the entrance and people hanging out in the lobby. People go silent as they walk by as if they don't want to get in trouble with Ellie. The walls are red and there's a lot of red decor inside. A lot of people are wearing red too. Ellie wears a purple t-shirt tucked into a pair of shorts and her hair is down.

  "No, the study is down this corridor with a bunch of other boring rooms." She says as they turn the corner.

  "Is purple like the Lieutenant's color and everyone else wears red?" Luz continues with questions.

  "No, I just like purple. Wait till you see my place, it's like a purple demon exploded in there." She snickers. "Okay, wait right here and I'll be back in a moment."

  She steps up to the door and knocks three times. She makes herself known to the Captain and Luz slides her back down the wall to sit down. The Captain tells Ellie to come in and she shuts the door behind her. Luz wants to know more about both of them but she's only spoken to Ellie.

  This whole thing seems so cool. Luz has never seen anything like this. The armies at home haven't fought with swords like that in forever. And they're a lot more boring in her opinion. Ellie seems positive with her instruction but strict when she has to be.

  "Willy! My man, how are you?" She starts with confidence and tosses herself into the chair across from him.

  "I told you not to call me Willy, Lieutenant. My name is William. And I'm doing fine, what about you?" He says, not picking his eyes up off of his book while abominations rearrange old battle plans.

  "God, you need to have some more fun. I wanted to know if, since I'm obviously your favorite person in the world I could take the day off and go exploring? I haven't had much time around the Isles since I got here and you won't believe this but, I think I made a friend." She puts on a bigger smile than before. That makes him lift his eyes from the pages and form a big smile.