29e.) Daydreaming

"If you guys want anything, let me know! Try to stay close." Camila says while grabbing a cart.

  "Are you guys getting flashbacks to the Walmart thing?" Luz asks Ellie and Hunter.

  "A little." Hunter shrugs.

  "I'm just thinking about the alien-costume lady." Ellie laughs.

  "Sounds like something Eda would do in the human realm." Luz smiles.

  "This produce section is a lot like Walmart." Hunter notices.

  "A lot of produce sections are the same. They put the produce in the front of the store with the flowers and stuff. They put milk and stuff in the back to you might want to buy more even if you only came for one thing. And then the fun stuff is in the middle so you have to walk through the stuff you don't need but probably will buy." Luz explains.

  "That sounds manipulative but I respect it." Gus speaks up from behind the grapes.

  "Do you like tomatoes?" Luz asks Ellie as they stand in front of the display.

  "Not by themselves. Or really in anything if there's too much of it. It's too slimy." She shrugs.

  "Ellie?" A voice speaks from behind them. "It's me, Mrs. Gallagher!"

  "Who?" Luz whispers to Ellie as the woman comes up to them before pulling Ellie into a big hug.

  "Hi." She says awkwardly as the woman squeezes her. She honestly has no idea who that woman is.

  "My favorite army-brat. Where have you been, kiddo? Your mother was worried sick!" She smiles.

  "Army-brat?" Luz whispers again.

  "You talk to her?" Ellie asks quickly.

  "When you went missing, she was asking anyone and everyone if they knew where you were. We've kept in touch the whole time." She explains.

  "Can I have her number?" Ellie asks.

  "Um, sure! Wait, are you...not with your mom?" She asks before looking around.

  "What? No, no, she's here! I just uh, need to text her but she changed her phone number. One second I was looking at the tomatoes, next second she's gone! You know how it is." Ellie laughs as Hunter and Luz stare with confusion.

  "Here, I'll put it in your phone." The woman smiles before Ellie hands it over. "We hope to see you back at school this fall! Steven's been missing you girls a lot. Speaking of, where are they?"

  "I'm not sure." She lies with a smile.

  "That's too bad. Hopefully they turn up soon as well. I'll see you around, kiddo." The lady nods before pushing her cart the other way.

  "What was that?" Hunter asks.

  "No idea. She must've been one of my teachers or something. I lied about my mom because I feel like she should hear I'm not missing from me." Ellie shrugs.

  "You're an army-brat?! Have you ever been to Texas?" Luz asks with a smile.

  "I have no idea! I don't remember moving around a lot but I guess I did?" Ellie sighs.

  "Are you gonna call or text your mom today?" Luz asks.

  "Probably call, right? Do I explain everything in a text and then call her? Because whenever I have to explain something that big I get nervous and start to talk way too much. When I'm done talking there's still go be so much I didn't say because I put in less important stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if I told her about my entire time in the demon realm and forget to mention Phillip somehow. If I send her a text I can reread it and think it over before sending and then she can have time to read it before I call her." She rants.