30e.) Tightrope

"Are you sure you're ready? We can always turn the car around and say you have a cold." Camila smiles.

  "And you're sure you don't want me to go with you? Parents love me!" Luz jokes.

  "I'm sure to both. Have fun at the zoo, guys." Ellie smiles as she pushes the door open.

  "I'll pick you up in three hours unless you want to stay. Just let me know." Camila assures.

  "Good luck." Hunter gives her a thumbs up once she's out of the car and she nods.

  "Tell the giraffes I said hi, Gus." Ellie laughs.

  "You got it." Gus winks before she shuts the door.

  She waves goodbye as the car drives away with a pit in her stomach. Once they're gone, she knows she can't avoid it anymore. She turns around to look at the house, it's exactly as she remembers. Even if the memories are foggy. Except for one thing, there's a moving van in the driveway. But it's moving stuff in instead of out.

  She takes a deep breath before starting to walk to the porch. The house is light blue with a darker roof. There's a familiar frisbee on the roof that makes her smile before she reaches the door. Voices come from in the house and it makes her want to run. But she's come too far to leave now. Without a second thought, she knocks on the door.

  Waiting for someone to get it feels agonizingly long. Her stomach does a million flips and she tries to think of other things. But the only other things she has to think about make her nervous too. Cap, Raine, and everyone else in the demon realm aren't exactly calming thoughts. But the door opens revealing her mom. Also exactly the way she remembers.

  She's tall but doesn't look much like Ellie. They have the same nose and eye shapes but that's about it. Her skin is lighter than Ellie's and her hair isn't as curly. It elegantly falls down her shoulders in waves. But her memories of the woman don't do her any favors. But despite that, tears well up in her mom's eyes. And not long after that, she quickly wraps Ellie in a big hug.

  "Hi, mom. It's good to see you." Ellie smiles while hugging her mom back.

  "It's so good to see you too, Mija. Te extrañe todos los dias." She speaks shakily. "Please tell me that barbaric place didn't take away your Spanish."

  "Sé español, mamá. No te preocupes." She laughs before they finally pull away.

  "Sorry about the moving van, your step-sisters are moving in." She smiles.

  "My what?" Ellie asks with wide eyes.

  "There's a lot to catch up on. I have to go help the movers but go say hi to Karina. She's missed you like crazy. She's still up the stairs to the left." Her mom nods before turning around and entering the house. "Oh, and I've already explained everything to her and showed her the text you sent me."

  The stairs are adjacent to the front door so she slips off her shoes before walking up. Music blasts throughout the upstairs area coming from a room opposite her sister's. Another door to stare at before knocking. In a way, she's more nervous about her sister. She was only seven when Ellie disappeared so she's ten now. The door opens and a big smile grows on the little girl's face.

  "Ellie, you-you're back!" She cheers before throwing herself into Ellie's arms.

  "Oh my god, you're so grown up," Ellie says while squeezing her tight.

  "I could say the same for you! Wow, you've changed a lot." She laughs before pulling away. "Come in, come in!"

  "I see you've given up the unicorns." Ellie sighs before taking a seat on Karina's bed.