29.) Anti-Hero

A few months later

  Thanks to Them

  "Class starts in two minutes!" Mrs. Gracey shouts to the class. Ellie walks to her seat by the window that happens to be surrounded by a bunch of assholes.

  "Is that Scarface?" Gianna, another junior asks as she starts taking off her backpack.

  "Yeah it's me, don't cream your pants." Ellie sighs and sets her bag on on the floor before sliding into her seat.

  "Done with your ritual animal slaughters early?" Kurt, the boy who sits behind Ellie leans forward.

  "What is going on?" Shelby, the new girl asks. Today is her first day and also last period.

  "Ellie went missing for three years and hasn't told anyone why." Gianna sighs.

   "Maybe there's a reason for that, Gianna." Ellie rolls her eyes.

  "Whoever kidnapped her probably gave her back because of her fucked up face. I mean, did you Edward Scissorhands do your facial at the spa?" Kendall, Gianna's best friend asks.

  "Class, class! It's time to get started. Open your books to page 397 and we'll take turns reading the pages." The teacher announces just a second after the bell rings.

  Ellie reluctantly pulls out her book, already sick of school. At least this class is the shortest, only thirty minutes long. She and everyone else flips to the page and she can practically feel her heart drop. The Wittebane brothers.

  "This tale is perfect for Halloween in two days. Okay, who would like to start?" Mrs. Gracey asks. Of course, no one answers. "Ellie, why don't you start?"

  "Um, okay," She sighs while focusing on the first page to start reading. "This convoluted tale starts in 1613. Two orphaned brothers, Caleb and Phillip Wittebane. They became witch-hunters along with many other men in the community. The Brothers Wittebane met a real witch from another world. Her name was Evelyn, her last name unknown. And the older brother was spirited away. She dazzled him with magic and visions of a strange new place. They used a secret code to travel between worlds. Philip then set off to save his brother and bring the witch to justice. Some say, he successfully brought his brother ho- no. This is all just wrong." Ellie stops reading.

  "What do you mean?" Mrs. Gracey sighs.

  "Let's pretend witches are real, okay? In what world would Phillip set off to this new place with the intent to only save his brother? He would be dead-set on destroying them. How do we know he didn't?" Ellie gets ahead of herself.

  "And how do we know he did?" Kendall scoffs.

  "Because he was an asshole!" Ellie accidentally raises her voice.

  "Language." Mrs. Gracey says wearily.

  "He murdered his brother because he fell in love with a witch, it's so obvious. Phillip Wittebane is the most pathetic man in history. He killed his brother because he couldn't get any bitches and then got all of the people of this town to act like he's a hero. Well, he's not and-"

  "And it would be better if he literally never existed!" Someone from the class next door shouts and Ellie's class falls silent.

  "What she said." Ellie ends the ramble.

  "Well, now that that's over, Kurt, will you please read the next page?"

  "I'm home!" Ellie calls to the Noceda house but it sounds like no one is home.

  That's weird, her friends should be home. Maybe they're exploring but either way, she's gonna check the basement first. She turns down the hallway and starts running down the stairs happily before reaching the bottom. She swings around the corner to see Hunter sitting at the sewing machine with Luz on his other side.