39. What about me Stefan?

"Looks like Bonnie is really enjoying our new guest." Stefan chuckles as he hands a drink to Caroline who was sitting on the sofa opposite to him.

"Honestly, I am just happy that she is having fun. She has been through a lot and now if she find someone who actually takes care of her, I am more that happy to support her." She replies.

"Yeah you are right. Whatever happened wasn't right and Bonnie deserves some happiness in her life." Stefan agrees as they both chuckle.

"God! They are really getting at it." Caroline groans as they could her them.

"Then stop listening." Stefan says.

"How? I have always tried to listen as far as I could, I don't know how to get my hearing normal." Caroline groans.

She actually knew how to do that but being in her younger body which has just turned in a vampire was different and she was facing trouble getting in tune with it.

"You need to find something to focus on." Stefan says. Caroline tries to do that but groans in defeat.

"Okay look at me." Stefan says as he gets up to sit beside her. He grabs her hand and place it on his chest right above his heart.

"Focus on my heartbeat. Make sure that is the only thing that you hear." Stefan says softly and she does exactly that. Soon she smiles in victory.

"Thank you Stefan. You are very good at this." She says.

"Well not very good at that considering my ripper phase." Stefan retorts looking at the glass he was drinking from.

"Hey! Stefan look at me." She says as she cups his face and make him look in her eyes.

"I know you feel guilty about what happened but that is what make you different from a monster you think you are. Because Stefan Salvatore you are a good person and I know there is nothing you wouldn't do for people you love and that is what make you, well you." Caroline softly says.

Stefan had many emotions going through his head but they mainly consisted of how Caroline seemed to have eased all his doubts. Stefan always felt like he was not doing good enough or he was not a good person especially since he came after his ripper binge.

Elena had not been much of a help either. Her choosing his brother over him made him feel like he didn't deserved anything good.

Stefan knew it was wrong what he was going to do. He knew it was wrong for both of them but that that moment Caroline was looking majestic and he couldn't help himself, so he kissed her. He kissed her like his life depended on it. At first Caroline kissed him back but then something snapped in her and she pushed him away.

"What is wrong with you?!" Caroline exclaims.

"Caroline." Stefan tries to say but Caroline continues.

"No Stefan that was wrong! You are literally just broke up with Elena and now you are kissing me, one of her best friend?!" Caroline hissed at him.

"Okay technically Elena cheated on me, with my brother at that. So no I don't feel guilty for kissing you. Its not fair that only Elena gets to hurt people. I don't care if kissing you is going to hurt Elena! Actually if it does hurt Elena, I will actually be happy." Stefan exclaims back.

Caroline knew that Stefan was hurt because of Elena's recent betrayal but hearing his completely disregard her feeling in the matter had truly hurt her.

"And what about me Stefan?" Caroline says with tears in her eyes.

"Caroline." Stefan sighs realising his mistake.