PART 14

SIDHARTH************

"Ashes to ashes , dust to dust " The priest chanted as the earth was poured over the dead men's coffins that had been lowered into the grave.

When I first became the Mafia boss, my one wish was to protect my family and never recount the death of any and because of that , I became the softest the Mafia boss in town who tried to seek for peace with others but where has that led to?

Nowhere in particular!

I ran my hand through my hair, closed my eyes for a while, imagining the breeze would blow away this anger and frustration that was building up in me like a storm. I stepped away from everyone to stay under a tree and it was until I got there i didn't noticed Mohit was with me.

"Were you able to talk to their families?" I asked him.

"I did. The first driver's father is a Muslim and he was hesitant about burying him the Christian. I think he is not here because of that and the second family is over there " He pointed to a particular woman and her two kids.

The little ones were crying and I couldn't forgive myself.

"I'll talk to them after we are done here. Any police issue in sight?"

"For now none, boss" Mohit replied and I nodded.

The funeral service ended and the little crowd began to disperse little by little. I was about to walk up to our family priest to thank him for conducting such an impromptu service when a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

When I turned, It was Dimitri.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Anger clouded my senses aa soon as I saw him. He was not supposed to be here .

"I came to offer my condolences" Dimitri said.

"You should. After you successfully killed them" I told him.

"I don't kill your family men, Kushal and you know this . They've got kids" I was already walking away but immediately I heard those words, I turned.

"Should we talk about the man you killed in the west inland mall a year ago. He was married and he had three kids, a wife , a side chick and even parents or should we make it a recent event and talk about the man you also stabbed at the neck at the bar two months ago , he was a father of seven kids. So , take your mother-f*cking pathetic soul and go find yourself some stupid things to do " I spat at him.

"I didn't do it , Sidharth. I didn't kill your men" Dimitri said.

"Were you supposed to confess to it in the first instance?" I know either Vikrant or you did that shit and if I find the asshole who killed my men , I'll make sure you teenagers regret every of your actions "

I threatened and walked away from him. After talking to the priest, he volunteered to go with me to the victims' home to see their parents and offer out deepest condolences.

We were able to talk to the first family we visited, the man whose wife and kids came for their burial. I gave her some cash even though I knew it wasn't enough to replace her dead husband but  I just wanted to do something for the family. I couldn't promised her a top position in my company but it would be like putting the small kids at risk of possibly losing their mother as well someday.

The second family was difficult to reach through. The father was stubborn, insisting I'd killed his son. Since I was his employer, I was supposed to protect him. Even though he had said it because of his state of mind , he was still right. I never for once thought about my people needing security. I collected the father's number and promised to stay in touch .