[SEASON 1] Chapter 4

The next day

I was currently in a noodle house owned by a grumpy old dude who had a knack for cooking food. Aside from the obvious theme hovering around the area, Takanashi Kiara was the only antithetical existence present, literally and figuratively.

Aside from the orange-motif she was going for before, now she was wearing a white blouse and shorts that did nothing to hide her belly button. I came from a conservative family where clothes hid 95% of the skin and only the head and hands would be visible. Reading up on the analysis carefully crafted made by experts in the industry, Kiara was apparently the CEO or something for a business called KFP. Additionally, she calls her fanbase KFP too which meant 'Kiara Fried Phoenix'.

She took her species to a whole new level in this age of modernity.

"Thanks for helping me settling in, Kiara." I slurped the noodles in a bowl using chopsticks. The jangling of plates at the back kitchen made a clamor of ambience.

"Don't mention it. Entering the building for the first time is like walking into a forest," she joked. Unlike Mori Calliope, I cannot picture this woman being emotionless. I knew first meetings weren't going to give me the full story. Mori didn't seem to be expressive and worked without end. If that didn't scream 'machine' then I don't know anymore. Kiara held a bowl of noodles in one hand, her palm underneath the bowl.

"Doesn't that hurt?" I was curious. Too much heat killed a guy. Every little object in the world can end one life. A hot bowl was probably enough to make a hand look like a scrambled egg if touched for too long.

Kiara didn't look fazed and just held it like a toy-in-hand. She made a sound, pretending she didn't hear me and finally understood what I was saying. "Oh! You mean this? Don't worry! It takes a lot for me to turn to ashes and be reborn again! So!" She patted my back, almost making me choke on my noodles. "How was your first day with HoloMyth's cutie patootie, Mori Calliope?"

"Not too bad I guess, she trusts me to do these things to an extent." I admitted, showing her the phone with the chores I have to undertake. "Before you say anything, I know what I was getting into. I knew the grunt work wasn't going to just be cleaning the studio or buying her clothes." Though I'm pretty sure I still have a say in receiving her clothes on specific days.

Kiara gasped, swiping the phone from me and seeing something in the phone I probably overlooked. "Ooh! Calli's phone! Lucky you!"

Could I really do this job? What did Yagoo even see in me to accomplish the tasks Mori Calliope gave me? Meet death? I didn't even attend my grandfather's funeral. Death must've been pissed at me. And what the heck was I gonna do with fighting potential big dogs in the Underworld. I worked out in the gym for an hour and a half. That wasn't going to change the outcome of me being turned into dog food by a being thought to be mythical in mainstream media.

"W-what's the matter?" I asked.

"It's..." She lowered her head down. I hope it wasn't anything too terrible. Like a coin flip shifting mood, Kiara's eyes twinkled and heart-shaped cartoons leapt out of her mouth. She pushed the phone close to my face with the energy of a zealous girl scout. "Calli's the phone background! My goooood! I wanna get this picture! She never includes me when she takes pictures by herself! Guuuurl!"

"Is Mori Calliope photogenic?"

Kiara's crazed expression mellowed down, handing me back the phone. What was this 180 in attitude? "Clay. Why don't you call her Calli? It's a good step to get to know her~"

Ina bore no issue with me shortening her name. The same could probably be established for this one. I can't use the 'I'm not familiar with her yet' excuse since me and Ina did converse this morning. Gura and Amelia kept making bets I was going to quit or pull through and die the next week.