[SEASON 2] Chapter 24

There was surely one thing I had forgotten and it was my boss's exclusive tutoring sessions with a random student from the Underworld. Me and Calli had just gotten home two hours away from the supposed meeting time. Zed, at the profile I looked at, should be in the room right about now.

Damned guitarist was packed to the brim with cocktails. It was a good thing I had been there for Calli or else she would have ingested his whole stock and ran him out of business. So here we were in Holomyth HQ, almost succumbed to further intoxication and music jams, in our disheveled attires, and Kiara who seemed to be grunting beside the doorway this whole time.

In fact, I don't think I ever opened the door of Calli's room as it was open the moment we got there. The cafe vibed to Calli's beats so much I was unable to comprehend the difference between a closed and open door. Kiara tapped her foot, a whisk of vexation until she sensed us nearby and motioned for us to come closer with a finger.

"You two!" Kiara rushed us like an ambulance, grabbing the fabric of our clothes by the shoulders using us as shields. "Who is this pervert you invited?! He keeps ogling me every second and says all kinds of shit to to tick me off-"

"A nice evening to you too Kiara," Calli tipped her cap at the verbally jumbling mess that was an enraged Phoenix. "Well, I'm late so it's kind of my fault he had nothing to do but tease you."

"Why the heck are you laughing? You were supposed to be here at 6 sharp. I couldn't exactly leave him alone either. What if he messed with your stuff and your setup?!"

Calli looked at me momentarily, an expression of guilt on her face telling me we shouldn't have rocked the café upside down too much. "I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you next time. I got caught up with something."

"You better!" Kiara glared at Zed. "I'm leaving! Buy me burgers and fries tomorrow!" She stomped on her heel, flying out of sight with traces of a dying flame being left behind. There was no time to even sneak in a 'see you tomorrow'.

That 'something' Calli was referring to was jumping on people's tables and positively encouraging the customers to dance and sing along with her. We'd been massively loud to the degree a police officer came over to tell us the neighboring houses were wondering if a riot was happening. Being the most worried individual there, I had calmly given my statement and assured him this concert we were having would tone itself down.

I straightened my hair, avoiding the two girls' gazes and focused on the guy who was sitting on Calli's chair like he owned the place. His smile embodied his whole personality. Lateral commissure crooked upwards in a slant, legs spread with heels on the floor, body leaning forward, elbows on his knees. Cocky and filled with curiosity, a lot of the people who went behind bars stared at me all night with the same exact expression. They'd stare so much they could go nights without food or sleep.

He was assessing everything happening with a nonchalant alarm bell. He was different. Unlike those dudes who'd never see the light of day.

When it was just the three of us with Kiara gone, Zed hopped off the chair and cracked a bone in his neck.

"You're late," he said.

"My bad. I'll double up time for training to make up for it. But it is nice to meet someone who's willing to be instructed by me to become a better reaper."

"Whoa! Double-up? Can't you just move training tomorrow? It's almost 9 in the evening and I came super early, ya know? There's a lotta girls in the nearby district. There's still tomorrow too."

"We haven't even formally introduced ourselves. Regardless of my mistake, I can't just let you go after I appeared. It's bad I was late but it's even more terrible if we don't start." Calli raised a hand to shake Zed's hand. "I'm Mori Calliope. I will be officially teaching you how to reap a life that has lived until the end. I'm late but I really look forward to working with you."