[SEASON 2] Chapter 28

It started off with a light discussion between Ollie and Kobo at my kitchen table. Being an observer rather than a fighter, it was sufficient to converse over their background. Just like my relationships with the girls, Jean apparently also had fresh skeletons inside her closet. Ollie and Kobo were her caretakers by accident. How it happened was left up to interpretation as I didn't divulge into it further. I knew at that point everything Jean had experienced with these two were plunged with randomness and a catalyst for new experiences so I didn't question it or rather I was getting to the more important questions. 

"How do we save her? If your powers didn't work, I don't think our names are enough to get her to wake up." I wasn't being negative. I was being rational. Uttering out names in your sleep was nothing too strange. "If she's at her house then I don't think her parents would let me in or Calli for that matter." 

"We brought her to Hololive HQ to avoid suspicion. We told her parents through Jean's phone she was at a friend's place to prepare for a multimodal communication report. Right, Kobo?" Ollie gestured to Kobo as she nodded her head vigorously.  

"As this is recent, you can only keep up that charade for long..." Calli raised a finger to her lips, gazing at me momentarily before stating something else. "I can reach to a valid point that only applies to us reapers. Once humans are in a paralyzed state, we can temporarily enter their conscious and figure out if they'll die from nocturnal death. We immediately reap their souls once it's confirmed they can't overcome the dimension, denoting their time's up. Though, the process is more preferred by reapers who like to be early and love their job too much."

 "Nocturnal?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"Strokes, cardiac arrest, the usual with people who can't wake up. However, nocturnal ones aren't normal. They're sinister." Calli tilted her head to the side adorably like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "The inside world of this nocturnal realm is annoying. It's basically a one-room world where the person is trapped within their own darkness."  

"Any idea how this happened?" 

"We're not sure... We just know it's more than severe. It's like she's been chained to something without realizing. Like an anomaly we didn't see coming."

"And she was just smiling with us recently when we hung out..." I was a regular human but there was something jabbing at my head about a person who you just found out was your little sister in peril. 

"Nocturnal dreams don't just happen out of the blue. Then again, let's check and see if it's the case. I have my own theories how this happened."

"You can tell from a glance?" I asked.

"I just know." I suppose that claim came from centuries of experience. "I don't want to point fingers but it could be someone from the Underworld responsible for this."

We went to HQ shortly.

I had to see Jean right away and that I did.

She was in a separate room block that was well away from the other girls' rooms placed on a single bed. I knelt down by the bedside, checking to see if she was breathing as she laid on her back completely stiff. 

"Her skin's gotten colder like a fraction of Antarctica. Get me a blanket, Kobo."

"Aye!" Kobo ran to the nearest cabinets, digging through them to pull out a conveniently-placed comforter at the very bottom of a stacked pile. "Here you go!" Kobo energetically pushed the comforter to Ollie's chest.

"Thanks Kobo... You almost detached my chest from my body. Maybe just walk next time instead of stomping on the floor?" Ollie accepted the comforter and spread it all over Jean's body carefully. "I do think, from an undead perspective, she's getting close to my state. You know, lifeless?" 

That was certainly uplifting. 

"My bad, had to crack one there. The air in the room is a little hot right now!" 

"I remember you two mentioned something. Jean doesn't have any particular traumas besides companionship and she hasn't received inflicted physical pain that would cause her to have injuries or strokes. If it isn't mental or physical, a coma out of nowhere seems highly unlikely." Calli knelt near the other bedside, her reaper outfit in full display. "If that was the case, I would wait if she succumbed to those causes or not but this isn't normal."

"If you and the girls are powerful, isn't there a way to just revive her and make her live longer?" I assumed. Common sense didn't exist with Calli and the rest. 

"As a reaper for a very long time, my opinions differ now on life and death. If Jean's body is able to handle longevity enhancement like you do with our powers, I don't see a problem with it if it just gives you more time to live but if she gets into states like these, I do question if she can handle that. As for reviving, after the person dies, we reapers don't engage in saving them from death unless it's not their time yet. It would go against what we do." Calli said. She believed Jean could still be saved.

"How do you know if a person's time is truly up?" 

"It's over when you give up. That's it."

"Well, is this normal or one of those nocturnal dimensions you mentioned?" Ollie asked. "Not to offend you but I'm getting more chills than Jean. I don't think I can do her homework as well as she does. The teacher's already texted her to shape up for the next test and I'm panicking!"

"Right!" 

"You're not helping, Kobo!"

"I'm sure Jean not a quitter! She can live!" Kobo held Ollie's hand. "I'm sure!"

"Considering the symptoms are already showing such as extremely cold skin, I'm already in firm belief." Calli said. "But we can still save her. There's time, Clay."

"Let's." I stood up right away. 

"I didn't want to have to involve you but your name is being called."

"What am I supposed to do is the question I always ask myself in ordeals like these." 

"There's only one answer to that question, unfortunately."