[SEASON 1] Chapter 6

"How much of your neurons deteriorated? Were you out of your mind?" Calli didn't stop badgering me about my limits.

Naturally speaking, humans couldn't casually traverse the lines of life and death. However, if there was one thing I knew from beings like HoloMyth, it's that the impossible wasn't farther from probability. From body language, she was heavily favored to stomp her foot in frustration. The most likely scenario is that she's pissed so much to the extent, reporting this to the boss was a reality I can distinguish.

Firstly, we were still in Death's domain and that meant Kiara's energy reserves were still venerably swirling within my body like domesticated free-flowing water. Gradually, due to the abnormal potence in Kiara's bloodline, a human storing her power up was tantamount to suicide if kept for a long time. It should be any moment now it'll disperse like a petulant flower wilting and I'd suffocate from being in a domain I wasn't supposed to be in.

Calli and Death were currently in a face-off, glaring daggers, scimitars and scythes into each other. Shamefully, my ineptitude to handle such battles was disappointing. I'd fought battles before but this was not on my alley. Calli didn't need to be grandiloquent in her words to shut me off and this was probably why she didn't need someone like me. Responsibilities in handling her affairs were best done by herself.

But then what of Yagoo's utter faith in me? Where was any of that placed besides my whole self? What did the guy see in me to witness a woman of demise and unparalleled beauty?

"Don't you dare move from your spot. I can sense Kusotori's power begging to flee from your human body. One reckless twitch and her power will jolt out of you." Her crimson eyes released a mighty roar at me. "You'll die. Got it?"

Sure enough, I could feel my humanity winning. In this kind of context, it wasn't a good sign. I was mildly gasping for air and my chest had suddenly gotten tighter. Moving my feet around felt incredibly difficult. They were beginning to succumb to numbness.

I laughed.

"What's funny?" she asked.

"You're the Grim Reaper's apprentice but you don't want me dying." Did I have to be scared of the unknown? Were those so-called myths and superstitions sophisticated and intimidating being told in stories that I'd fear for my life?

Working for Hololive might've changed my opinion on even the most wicked of monsters. Yagoo was definitely scarier.

I predicted Calli rebutting me with response of denial. Maybe a comment about her not caring for my safety. What kind of bond did we even form besides doubt and suspicion upon meeting each other for the first time? I had taken up her challenge and she couldn't believe it. I avowed a life where I didn't regret anything and a path I wouldn't suppress my emotions and decisions. Renovate, enlarge, and braving the future was a heavy resolution after it was said.

Why suffer the realm of death? Why work for beings that weren't like me? To have the dexterity managing issues of your superior, a role that was given to me. Why would I just not quit?

All things equal, I disliked giving up.

That feeling was stronger than any power in the world. It was easy to fall into and harder to fight back. For such simple words like 'giving up', I'd lost all my past relationships. My family, my friends, and quite possibly the life I could've led prior. I didn't want that again. Every fiber of my being pounced on a conceivable amount of hope to escape from it. My body could respond but my mind would always fear the thought.

Plausibly... No. Absolutely, that was the major reason I didn't want to quit working for Mori Calliope. I didn't want to lose her and make her lose hope for me.