[SEASON 1] Chapter 9

Ever since the Wilhelm incident being a month ago, Calli and I have now gotten along to the point she'd always welcomed me with a greeting whenever I entered her room.

She'd ask me questions from time to time about my hobbies and hidden talents with the latter not being much. Sitting on a chair she brought out, I awaited to see if she had anything to ask of me.

I was on standby for most parts when she didn't require my help. I scrolled through the channels on her television as a pastime, eager to see a movie that was going to make me second-guess my intelligence or a horror movie that could literally make turn on the lights. But there was nothing.

I was also now getting along with the rest of the girls. Ina often invited me whenever she mastered a new spell she'd read in her book or ask for my opinion when it came to her drawings. Kiara kept lecturing me how to communicate with the others. Gura and Amelia were downright bullies. Calli and Kiara would spank them as a result so I wasn't complaining. If anything, it made the building for me a little livelier. I was content.

Let's just say I'm taking the elevator from now on and not choosing the cool way to Calli's floor.

Today was a regular day back in business. After the recent turn of events, I found myself respecting Mori Calliope further. Reaping a life might be effortless for her but meeting with the soul to make them ponder over their lives was an experience. I couldn't sleep well that night. Ben's acceptance of his fate was a pathetic end. I'd like to think there's an alternate universe where he went on to become a doctor or something.

I marched through the same routine whenever I tucked in my shirt, tapped my shoes on the floor, and pulled my suit tighter. I greeted HoloMyth, took my morning coffee and cereal, proceeded towards Calli's room to see if she would demand a five-thousand calorie meal.

There was nothing she ordered that day. She basically told me to take a vacation for a day. It wasn't that half-bad. Sure I felt unproductive since I wasn't doing anything, nonetheless, I wouldn't go home until my hours are up so I was staying by the lounge, texting my friends back at the office in our group chat.

Eri: How's work going, Clay?

Alex: Probably better than us sorting files at the moment. You up for a quick bite later at Wendy's?

Clay: I kind of have nothing to do for the day so I can join you guys.

Ethan: Isn't today a weekday? Clay Johnson has nothing to do?

Alex: I've never heard of that before. You usually want to work even if there's nothing left to go over.

They were right about that... Maybe I was a bit tired over what happened. All this fantasy mumbo-jumbo stuff happening to me made my brain turn into hay. I don't know what's up anymore.

Alex: You're in a great spot, man. I can't imagine myself working for Mori Calliope. You're doing a lot better than her previous attendants.

Eri: Us feeble humans can't possibly work with someone who takes lives for a living. I keep telling all of you Clay's not normal.

Clay: Is that a compliment?

Ethan: In this business? Yes.

Eri: Of course I'm kidding! Who wouldn't want to work for Mori Calliope?! Let's switch places for a day, Clay! I'm begging you!